What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do venus flytraps smell?

I have bad alergies and am alergic to many smells most plants create.  I have recently heard from some websites that VFT's secreet nectar in their traps to lure insects.  I have heard that this nectar smells like rotting meat and that is what lures the insects.  Is this true?  
sad.gif

confused.gif

that is one heck of a big lie , vft's secrete a nectar that smells like honey or sugar , its like when people thought that vfts has trap the size of a human and that the plant could eat people which was a big lie . what it hink yuor thinking of are aroids such as the huge flower amorphophallus titanum or rafflesia , they do smell but there not carnivorous .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (goldtrap2690 @ June 29 2003,1:5
alien.gif
</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what it hink yuor thinking of are aroids such as the huge flower amorphophallus titanum or rafflesia, they do smell but there not carnivorous .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
And I would say that most people are 'allergic' to the smell
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
.  But then rotting meat isn't one of my favorite fragrances either
wink.gif

I have never noticed the nectar on the VFT traps smelling at all, however, the flowers have a fragrance that, to me, has a metallic or acid-like tang to it.

I have a plant that is called a Carrion Flower, or Starfish Cactus. I don't know the latin name. The Blooms are beautiful, but they do smell of rotting meat. The reason for this is they are pollenated by flies. Needless to say, it is on my front porch in the summer for smelly blooming time!

the plant you have humming bird is a stapelia i believe , i have on my self , i would say beutiful , i'd just say cool lookin .

OK, so my secret is out. I am very easily impressed where plants are concerned. LOL

Venus flytraps produce nectar which doesn't smell to us. It's also quite tasty and sweet!
Any insects caught by the plants are digested and the hard shells that remain don't smell.

I can't say that I've ever smelled much coming from my CP's, but rotting meat would seem appropriate.

But then, I am somewhat macabre.
wink.gif

I'll bet that frog in the VFT I saw on necps.org a few posts ago gets pretty close to stinky.

Cheers!
Chris

We have thousands of Venus Flytraps in our greenhouse and grow room.....they don't smell and they don't bother anyones
allergies that work here
smile.gif
So don't worry yourself about that...you should be fine with them.

Back