What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When should i let my flytrap go dormant

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I have three common v-traps. Two are very small and one is fairly large. I am trying to find out when I need to let them go dormant. They are in a terrarium with a cobra lilly, purple pitcher plant, drosera adelea & spathulata, nepenthese vintricosa, and a butterwort. If it helps I live in the mountains of North Carolina.

i wuld say put them into dormency the same time u put your other plants into dormency this is the best way to do it cauze they all go at ounce

or u can put them into dormency between thanks giving and halloween closer to halloween is best for me

or leave your plants right now and let Mother Nature takes it course.

I'd let nature do her thing, though you will probably need to take the VFTs and pitcherplants out to do their dormancy. The other plants don't need dormancy, though I won't swear to that for the butterwort.

What kind of butterwort do you have? I have a grandiflora, and that's an Irish temperate and it needs quite a chilly dormancy... But others can range from mild to none really. Oh you might get a better response for your butterwort in the ping section

I'm not sure what kind of butterwort because I did not purchase it from petflytrap. and thanks for you opinions, I'm sure I can use them.
biggrin.gif

Also which of the other ones should I let go dormant
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wesley @ Aug. 16 2002,2:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not sure what kind of butterwort because I did not purchase it from here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hmm well about your butterwort...
How big is it? If it has little gemmae near the base then it is probably some sort of temperate (I think, because i read that temperates have gemmae), and temperates need dormancy. Or i guess you can just wait and see if the plant is going 'dormant'.

Well I would tell you but I do not know what gemmae means.
wow.gif

Oh with my ping, the gemmae were basically a ring of tiny little baby pings around the base of the mother ping under the bottom leaves

Oh!!! Well in that case ... no.
biggrin.gif

Back