What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carcasses?

My flytrap ate a small fly the other day. This morning, I found the trap had opened up again after eating the bug. The carcass is still in the trap. Should I remove it?

You can take it out to beautify the plant and risk stimulating the trap again, or you could leave it in and ignore it.

A 96% chance the trap will close. *96% is a guess, no actually study has been done
alien.gif
. I usally try once that is about it. Tweezers work the best...Do you feel lucky? Do ya?
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Travis

I usually carefully suirt the trap with a the stream part of the mist bottle. It works very well. I've only accidentally stimulated a trap once in 3 months. For some reason the last three traps caught flies really close to the edge of the leaf which makes it much easier to get them out.

It usually takes several hours for a trap to open up and reset itself, if you are lucky you can reach in (I use a very sharp tipped pair of tweezers) and remove the carcass before the trap is reset. They don't need to be removed though (nobody cleans them in the wild
wink.gif
).

Steve

I always leave the dead bugs behind, I figure a dead body will attract more bugs!
wink.gif

if it works in the wild, its good enough for me!

Scot

Back