What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do i get distilled water?

I want to grow a VFT from seeds but i havent boughten any of the stuff yet, where do i get the distilled water? i could just collect rain water but that wont do good in the winter.

I get my distilled water at wal-mart it seems to be the cheapest
smile.gif

Ditto, Publix/WinDixie/Albertsons are ripoffs compared to Walmart's water.!
tounge.gif

SF

When ever I need water, I go to the Reverse Osmosis water machine at Publix.

Hmmmm... I didn't think of that. I was talking about the jug kind. Maybe I ought to try that on a few plants.

SF

Hey SF,
I switched over to R/O water from the machine at the store a couple months ago (when my collection increased my water needs to the point that $2 + for 2 1/2 gallons was beginning to wear out the checkbook. lol) I get R/O water for $ 0.25/ gallon from the machine. My plants dont seem to be having any trouble at all. I do know that this machine is serviced every week (the service tech. puts a service date sticker on every time he visits) which helps ease my worries about feeding my plants bad water. If you have a machine handy it might be a good idea to give it a try..  Could save you a fortune over distilled water.

Steve

You should be able to get it anywhere. I use distilled, but I've been using carbon filtered water from the filter of the sink mostly lately, since it saves me the money of buying two jugs of distilled a week... and it's working real well so far.

I also have a carbon filtered water system under my sink but I don't think I would ever trust the water from it for my plants. There is way too much mineral content in the water where I live..
confused.gif
LOL when you fill your tub up with water, the water looks green...

hmmmm maybe I should get the water tested...

***stares*** Hmmm... maybe you should first make sure your water isn't being pumped out of the Everglades...

biggrin.gif
I doubt that... There would be some many complaints by know.. The water has been like that for years.. Its prob the way the process that water at the treatment plant.(sighs*** Hopefully thats the problem)

i think i'll collect a big bucket of rain water. im still in HS and dont have a job so i cant be buying jugs of water all the time. is it too late to sow seeds?

I guess it depends on where you live...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LenG444 @ Sep. 12 2003,02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess it depends on where you live...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Western New York state. about 45 minutes west of buffalo

Hi Al885... Welcome to the forums

Well its fall now, VFT's think its time for dormancy. If you cannot provide for the seeds a summerlike condition, I would advise against sowing VFT seed till spring. Your best bet is to put the seeds into the fridge for now, leave them there dry untill just before spring. Aproximately 5 weeks before the frost breaks, put your VFT seeds into "stratification" (wrap em in a wet paper towel and put them into the fridge). After stratification, sow them on a 50/50 peat/sand mixture and  they should be fine.

Good Luck with your plants
Steve

Well, I couldnt just keep them inside but by a window to get sunlight? the heat will be on.

I get my water from an RO dispenser at Wal Mart for 33¢ a gallon. I was going to use my carbon filtered water from my kitchen sink faucet, but after reading the carton the filter came in I decided not to use the water. The lable only listed pesticides, chlorine and other chemicals and heavy metals like lead and arsnic as being reduced. It didn't say anything about softening the water by removing minerals.

I just use platic gallon jugs and I run over to albertsons on my bike and fill 5 gallons for $1.25 it lasts me about 3 weeks. Mainly because I switched most of my plants to a minibog which takes a lot less water

hi,

I just said this in the thread about RO water, but anyhow...

I get my RO water free from a friend at Uni. Surely someone must know a sympathetic student / staff member. They also test the quality for me.

Hope this saves someone a bit of cash,
smile.gif

Jacko

[Just editied this bit in]
I also got my friend at Uni to test the quality of the water from my under sink, carbon filter water purifier. The EC and PH levels was the same in the filtered sample as water straight from the tap!

Although it tasted a lot better (less chlorine).

Back