What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catcing too many bugs?

I just recently put my VFT's outside and I noticed that it catches a lot of insects. I was just wondering if the plats could die from too many insects? They are doing excellent outside, I just don't want them to die from catching too many bugs! Each plant caught a fly or two everyday, is this too much?

ok ok ok, plants grow outside
they arent robots created by humans, unless you are shoving bugs into its mouth it cant die by catching them itself
wink.gif
what do u expect anywayz....
smile.gif

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure....you know. I finally got my plants in good shape after a long time of killing plants, (only like two plants) but still. I finally got all the proper conditions and materials to grow my VFT's really good. thanks for the help though I just wanted to double check
biggrin.gif

P.S. Sorry for the crappy
sad.gif
spelling job I did in the last few posts *he he*

perfecvt speling scares me because you no someone took their time spellchekin
wink.gif

DUDE, Heres a drastic warning if every single trap on the VFT is occupied THIS IS BAD! Put the trap outside for about a hour or two everyday! If the VFT catches to many insects it will die. How? Well the plant will put all its energy into digesting the insects if it does that you may notice after a few weeks the plant starting to sag then starting to turn brown. WARNING! Put it outside for 1 hour a day or else the plant will loose all its energy due to digestion.

thats a lie, they eat bugs if they are outsidem so if he doesnt feed them himself theyll be fine

Hmmm... I grow my VFTs outside full time and 90% of the time all the traps are closed and the only "problem" I have is that my typical form VFT has 4 new growth points.

Seriously, as BBB said, these plants grow outside in nature and they evolved this ability to trap so it seems a little contrary to say that they die by expending their energy digesting the insects. Now, if the insect is too large for the trap it can lead to death of the trap. Also the traps only work a few times so it is possible that it catches 3 bugs back to back to back and you never see it open and then the trap dies just because it is "old."

So if your plants are dying then I would suspect it is something going wrong with the way you are cultivating it

Just my 2 cents

I am going to belive pyro on this one, thanks for the advice. I think I might bring them inside until the traps re open and then put them back outside and then see what happens after that
biggrin.gif

I'm just seconding Pyro. I leave my plants outside 24/7. The only problem this has caused is that now the plants are bigger and will need more room in the fridge this winter for dormancy.
I don't think you can over feed a flytrap. Sure the trap dies after 3-5 meals, but the one that grows to replace it is usually bigger anyway.
Just my 2¢.

Have fun and enjoy your VFTs.

Back