Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which vfts do you grow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great discussion Tamlin and Vertigo. To generate this discussion is precisely why I posted the topic in April. I agree that the VFT naming is much out of control. The ICPS Database lists 12 cultivars, of which only 5 have received official registration (Akai Ryu, Dentate Traps, Jaws, Red Piranha, Sawtooth), and 1 patented, but not registered (Royal Red). For the other 6, the description is either insufficient for registration (Big Mouth, Clumping Cultivar, Fused Tooth, Red Rosetted) or equivalent to an already registered cultivar (Dentate and Dente = Dentate Traps).

To facilitate comparison of these plants, whenever I find a photo of a named VFT, registered or not, I post it on my list at
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BobZ,
    And as soon as I can get my hand on a camera, you'll have some more pictures of some of these would-be cultivars. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Whoa... I just saw this topic! It's obviously been here for a while!!! Well, anyhowees, here's my tiny, mediocre, humble little list:

Three green dragon VFTs(in the same pot)
    One common VFT

Not much, huh? ME WANT MORE!!!

Anyhowees, I've noticed that in the past week or so, the three green dragons that are in the same pot are getting huge traps! Well, huge compared to what they normally look like... the current traps are almost an inch long! The cause of this dramatic increase in trap size is probably due to the fact that I have been giving them a whole lot more sunlight lately [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 Green Dragons, 2 Dente, 2 Common.
    John Milford CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *wimper*
    Ooohhhhh, you guys make me so jelious. How are you getting all those VFT varients. I would do just about anything to get my hands on some. Do you know places that sell them? *big puppydog eyes* I've been trying to get all the ones I can, but most are eather to easy to get to be on my priority list or I've never seen them for sale. At the moment I have

1 Typical that is of 'Typica' growth (rossets all year and is very small with peach-orange traps)
    1 Typical with big traps, short leaves, rossets all year and has bright magenta mouths.
    1 Typical with 6 inch long summer leaves with big traps and 2 inch long winter leaves and tiney traps, very poor coloring.
    1 Red Dragon (only rare type I have)

Could have but don't feel large need for: Green Dragon, Denta.

Want: ANYTHING ELSE, PLEASE!

Edit: I don't know if it would be of help, but a couple months back I went through a few hundred VFT photoes and names and sorted them out according to "general" shared traits. I just didn't think it was proper to publish the results having not actaully owned many. If you like, I could give you a link to my incompleat website on the subject.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin and Vertigo,

Thank you!

I tried to vent a similar frustration about VFT cultivars a while ago. I think that sometimes forms get introduced into cultivation as a publicity stunt. I mean, let's all be realistic here--"Clayton's Volcanic Red" sounds pretty cool, but I'm unclear on how much it differs from other red forms. I have a Dingley's Giant, and I suppose the most distinctive thing about it is how quickly it grows... but even that pales in comparison to the Green Dragon. And Pink Venus, while cool in its burgundy color, is a very weak, slow growing plant without a huge amount of sun--weaker than the red dragon, in my experience.

So look, seriously people, these cultivars, aside from their interesting names, a lot of the time aren't all that cool or distinctive (well any cp is cool, but you know...). There are some forms that are staples--I mean, the green dragon, red dragon, and so forth, that are obviously interesting plants. But Tamlin hit the nail *sqarely* on the head--these plants exhibit huge phenotypic variation in nature.

At a basic level, if your cultivar inculdes the name "giant," you *will* sell plants. How many people have you seen make posts that say, "I'm looking for whatever Giant flytrap form." And the traps on my Dingly often pale in comparison to my "typical." I've found that even some of the *registered* cultivars are doubtful in their distinctiveness.

I think a main challenge in sorting this cultivar mess out is finding people who agree on what is distinctive and what is not. I mean, does distictive mean the huge difference between a "typical" (sorry for using the term Tamlin, but just for example purposes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ) and a red dragon? Or does it mean how deep a shade of red your inner trap is?

Jake

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345