What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which vfts do you grow?

There is an interesting discussion on the CPUK Forum on the eastern side of the Pond about what VFT forms are being grown
http://www.cpukforum.com/cgi-bin....ad=2617

It would be interesting, and help in trading, to see what VFTs are being grown in the US and Canada.

To start, I am growing
typical
'Akai Ryu'
“All Green”
'Dente'
“Fine Tooth and Red”
“Giant”
“Green Dragon”
'Jaws'
'Jaws' x 'Akai Ryu' (2-yr seedlings from my crosses)
'Akai Ryu' x 'Jaws' (2-yr seedlings from my crosses)

Typical
Dente
Creeping Death
Giant (possibly, traps were at least 1.5")
A few other minor mutations.....Cross teeth, red on outside of trap, ect....

Typical 1
Typical 2
Blood Red 1
Blood Red 2
Blood Red 3
Dingley Giant 1
Dingley Giant 2
Dingley Giant 3
Dingley Giant 4

Well, if they survive (see my other thread
sad.gif
), i have:
typical (although it has a freak 1-1/2"+ trap on it)
'Dentate'
'Blood red traps'
'Akai Ryu'

Zappafan,

Do you mean you have two different types of Typicals, or that you have two typicals? If you have two different types could you describe the differences?

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

I have 15 typical, 3 'Dentate trap', 5 'Akai Ryu', and 3 'Green Dragon'

alien.gif

various reds, all green, green dragon, various giant.

joe

Yes I mean to say that I have two different typical clones. I have young plants at the moment, so any differences are not visible yet.

Let's see so far:

Typical
'Dente'
'Akai Ryu'
'Green Dragon'
'Dingley Giant'
'Pink Venus'
'Jaws'
'Akai Ryu' x 'Jaws'
'Jaws' x 'Akai Ryu'
'Fine Tooth x Red'
'Creeping Death'
'Royal Red' ?

Coming soon:
'Long Red Fingers'
'Yellow'
'Big Mouth'

Hmm, not sure if i'm gonna go for 'Vigorous' instead of one of these.
alien.gif

typical
dente
green dragon
all red clone (don't know which one)
giant clone (again, not sure which giant clone)

You may want to get a cup of coffee after you are done reading my list:
1 Dente
1 Common

Wow
wow.gif

Travis

My collection's about the same size as yours Travis - I figure if things don't go well, I can at least keep casualties to a miminum.

4 Green Dragons
4 Dentates

Vertigo, if it were my choice I would go with "vigorous" it's an "all green" type. It's supposed to be a very fast grower.

I have a :

typical
dente
red variety
giant
green dragon
red dragon
fine tooth x red
heterodoxa

I'm growing...

Common
Akai Ryu
All Green
yellow
Dente
Fine Tooth and Red
Giant
Green Dragon
Vigorous
Big Mouth
Royal Red
Dingley Giant

I used to have a few of the Cup Traps, but that was about 10 years back when I was new to VFTs and CPs, didn't realize what I had, and let's just say I hadn't mastered the art of winter hibernation yet, and fungus took hold and killed off everyone.
sad.gif

Just curious, where do people find their Cup traps and Giant Clones from?

Zappafan,
Actually, the person who i'm getting them from suggested one of the others over "Vigorous". According to him:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vigorous is an Australian clone, more of a commercial fast grower for the garden center market than anything memorable.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It just seems like something produced for the commercial market for quicker growth...might be nice in a hybrid 'Big Mouth'.

I've got the most of you all!

drum roll please...

A rescued Common VFT that is actually begining to show signs of improvement... a little TLC always works...
smile.gif

Vertigo, What does a "Pink Venus" look like? I've never heard of those (or any of the more exotic ones you have either) before. I know there's a Dente, a Green Dragon, and a Red dragon, but not much else.

ok...
i have the green dragon, red dragon, dente and the common fly trap.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cougarmint @ May 02 2003,1:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Vertigo, What does a "Pink Venus" look like? I've never heard of those (or any of the more exotic ones you have either) before. I know there's a Dente, a Green Dragon, and a Red dragon, but not much else.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Cougarmint,
The 'Pink Venus' actually isn't all that pink.
tounge.gif
It's more of a shade of burgandy. I haven't really noticed much other differences. The color is definately different though.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

There's links to a few pics here. A really good site if you ever want to know what a plant looks like.
smile.gif

Back