What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about spring water?

Wow, now I really feel like I should have ran for a mod.
tounge.gif
We should pin a topic about water.

Spring water still has minerals in it that the plants wouldn't really like in the long run. It also tends to contain sodium.

The best water to use is normally rain water, distilled water, r/o water. Some people can use there tap water with out any problems. Most of us either can't, or don't want to really risk that, or will only do it in an emergency if no other waters available at the moment, but never for long periods of time, and usually flushing the pot afterwards.

And for the price of a bottle of spring water, you can buy a bottle of distilled water.

Hope that helps some.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ Sep. 12 2003,9:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow, now I really feel like I should have ran for a mod.  
tounge.gif
 We should pin a topic about water.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
sorry for asking

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (al885 @ Sep. 12 2003,3:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sorry for asking[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Don't ever be sorry for asking.
smile.gif
It was just a thought that I had. In the terrarium forum there is a pinned topic on lighting to help everyone out. I was just thinking that it would be really helpful for everyone if there was an easy to find topic at the top for water.

I wasn't trying to say anything at all against the question, there's just been a few different posts about water that all could have fit under one topic.
wink.gif

Hi, I'm new with VFTs and was wondering if purified water was ok? I mean the ones you buy....I'm using aquafina because my mom buys it like crazy....Just wondering if it's ok since it contains nothing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cerius @ Sep. 13 2003,09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi, I'm new with VFTs and was wondering if purified water was ok? I mean the ones you buy....I'm using aquafina because my mom buys it like crazy....Just wondering if it's ok since it contains nothing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No. Go to the grocery store and buy "Distilled water" should get it for anywhere from $ .70- 1.00 a gallon. Make sure it says Distilled. Distilled water is what you get when you boil water and condense the steam back into water. VFTs need pure water, free of any disolved minerals. Purified water, drinking water, spring water, carbon filtered water ect ect does not remove those toxic minerals. Use Distilled, Reverse Osmosis, or Rain only.

Steve

Back