What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting an offshoot

L

Leiopo

Hi -

The VFT that I purchased at this website came with a tiny VFT alongside the main VFT, and I was thinking of taking this baby and giving it a pot of its own.

Is there anything in particular I need to know when I do this? Can I just take the baby and place it in a moist moss/perlite mixture in a 3 inch pot and that's it? Or do it need to wait until its a little more mature? The baby plant is less than an inch in diameter.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sounds fine to me, just make sure the new plant has a root.

WHAT!! You got an extra plant, and I didn't charge you
smile.gif

J/K

I really would wait a little bit to pot it up, let it get bigger. But Alvin is right, as long as it has roots though, it would be ok to do it to.

Just be very careful ( that is why I would wait ), just so you don't damage it.

The extra plant is not the only thing I got for free. I even got a weird transparent wormlike creature which I've never seen before in my life, peeping out of the soil. It was about a half inch in length. For a moment, I was inclined to make it food for the VFT, but it was such a novelty creature that I let him live. It found it's way back into the soil and I have never seen him since. Now I'm really wondering what the #### it was.

a worm
smile.gif
earth worm.

I don't know how, but I have seen them in some of the plants, If you find it you can take him out. Or you can leave him in. They will open up the soil, which isn't a bad thing for the plant.

Sounds like a fungus gnat larvae. They're ok as long as you don't get over run with them. You need a sundew to catch the adult fungus gnats really.

Back