What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's going on?

• Thread starter sage
  • Start date
I have my VFT's outside on my deck. They've been doing good until recently. Two of the traps are turning black. One already is black. I keep their dish filled with distilled water. They sit in the sunlight all day on my deck. Occasionally they catch a small bug. I can't figure out what's going on! Can somebody please help?

If they're old traps it doesn't matter.(there supposed to do that after a while) If they're new traps then you have a problem.

if every trap on a vft lived for years, i wold be very scared of mine, as they would be giant bushes of hundreds of 1/2 inch traps
sad.gif

I find that mine die out sometimes too, but there is usually twice as many sprouts coming up as there is dieng traps, if you have fresh sprouts coming up then you should be fine
smile.gif

Hi Sage

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

The traps turning black is quite natural. A trap only feeds about 3-4 times before it wears out and dies (turns black). You can snip the trap off and leave the petiole (leaf part). As long as the petiole is green, leave it alone as it still makes food thru photosynthesis. If that turns black, snip that off too so it won't rot and cause problems. Your plant will continue to make new traps to replace the old ones. So it sounds like you are doing fine and everything is normal.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back