What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another dormancy question

question...

about dormancy...

what if your plants are still producing? Give them a nap anyway? I believe I still have some time, about a month or so, but what if the new growth doesn't slow down?

Hi Megan,  If your plant isn't ready for dormancy don't force it into dormancy.  If it's a plant you just got this year, there is a possibility it won't need a dormancy until next fall.  Many plants sold by companies are tissue culture plants and haven't got synchronized with mother nature yet.

Hmmm, very interesting. How would I know? I bought several plants from this site in June... does anyone know for sure?

I don't know but I think Snapper (my VFT) is confused, it's just now acting like spring but what is so strange is I've had it for years and just this year it has been acting wierd... maybe it hit puberty, lol! I'm glad to know I shouldn't force it though
smile.gif
Maybe I can skip a year... oh foo that would be good if I didn't need to transplant it.

I agree with Carnivorous Kid 100%

I think dormancy is fixing something that isn't broke in your case, and dormancy is always a risk; even if a slight one.

I think it will be safer skipping dormancy this time than it would be to force it into one.

Enjoy!!

It's possible that they will get in synch with Mother Nature later this fall when the days are noticably shorter. I have two Green Dragons that I bought from PFT.com this last summer. One just put up several of the tall summer leaves and the other has the shorter winter leaves. Just make sure that if they go dormant they get at least three if not four months of rest.

Back