What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setup for a terrium

J

jasono

Hello and thank you everybody for answering my last question.  
My new question is if I have very new VFT's and want to bring them inside into a terrarium. I live in south florida and dont want them to go through a harsh summer.  What is a good setup.  Please give me specific details on how to set up a perfect one.  My biggest question is, what type of light buld do I use?
Do i use a flourescent light (as used in fish tanks) or a UV light from a pet or hardware store.
Thank you and thank you for all the help.

I'm certainly not one of the pro's here, as I'm sure you'll guess by my name! :) I'm sure someone else will come along soon and answer your questions in full detail. But if you're like me, your plants are suffering and you need answers before they die. So I'll TRY to help from what I've been learning since I've been here (only a few days *gulp*).

Yes, florescent bulbs are the right choice from what people here and additional outside info. have been telling me. I am using a very small Terrarium (correct spelling I think *tee hee*) only about 1 gallon, and I'm using a 15 watt bulb. May not be enough, I don't know yet. In a larger tank more lighting may be required. I didn't read further down yet to find out the setup and size of your terrarium, so for now I'll just tell you this...I believe you should use florescent lighting, and make sure your plant has some sort of airflow if your terrarium is covered.
smile.gif

Sorry if this isn't much help...I tried! Hopefully some pros will be along soon to answer your questions. Good luck jasono!

actually I don't know much about terrariums but I do know the best light to use is a grow light!!

as for size well that depends on how many plants u want

as for humidity well u have to let us know the specifics like what kind of plants u want in there etc.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. If anyone can give more info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

I have been getting info from all over the place, and personally have settled on a "warm glo" florescent light for my terrarium. It may be too late to save mine, but if you are still having lighting issues, I'd be happy to be a "giunea pig" and keep you posted on how my VFT's do after the lighting change!
biggrin.gif

Hi jasono and welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif

I've never grown my VFTs in a terrarium but I can suggest that you keep them in their individual pots. This will make easier to put them in the fridge in November for their dormancy. It will also make it easier to remove one if it is having problems in the terrarium. Several people have used sphagnum moss to hide the pots and give the terrarium a naturalized look.

Hi Jasono

I'll add my welcome too! Glad you found these forums.
smile.gif

I will add my 2-cents worth. Here are some things to bear in mind. First off, the VFTs don't have to be in a terrarium. They don't have the humidity requirements other CPs need. If you just like the looks of it and want to grow them that way, thats fine too. Keeping them in pots is helpful if you need to remove them for dormancy. Don't totally enclose the terrarium as heat can build up fast and also they like air circulation. If the air in the terrarium is stagnant and very humid, your plants might rot or mold.

If you wish to use artificial light, fluorescent lighting is recommended as incandescent lights put off a lot of heat. You can get a small shop light (24") with two tubes at any hardware shop and they are fairly cheap. I use one Gro-Lux tube and one cool white also found at any place like Lowes o Home Depot. Other people may use different types of light. I have my lights on a timer set for about 14 hours. My tanks are used only for CPs with higher humidity requirements. My VFTs stay outdoors all the time.

Speaking from my own experience, my VFTs did not do well in a terrarium. Once I potted them and moved them outside, they were much happier! But you will see people have different methods of growing their plants so you just have to find what works well for you.
smile.gif

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. Don't be shy!

Hope you enjoy your plants.

Suzanne

Back