What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting

I just ordered two plants from www.petflytrap.com and was wondering when is a good idea to repot your plant(s) into a bigger pot? I got two in one pot and was wondering if I do need to report should I seperate the plants?

I'm relatively new at this...thank you all for your help.
biggrin.gif

Repot when the plants crowd the pot, traps flowing every which way. After a year or two, you'll need to repot anyway as the medium will be useless.   These are the only times when you should repot.  If you decide to repot, it will set back your plants for about two weeks, before you see growth again.  If your new, this link might help you take care of your flytrap.

FAQ

Take care!

SF

Thanks alot
biggrin.gif
I don't need the terranium living in Florida right? Just leave it outside for 8 hours and bring it inside after?
Thanks
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cerius @ Sep. 13 2003,10:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks alot  
biggrin.gif
I don't need the terranium living in Florida right? Just leave it outside for 8 hours and bring it inside after?
Thanks
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
As long as your temps dont drop into the freezing range (shouldnt be too big a problem in Fla) you dont need to bring them inside at all. Most people leave their VFTs outside 24/7.

Good luck
Steve

Won't this dry out the plant? I read on the FAQ it could kill the plant with all that heat.

VFTs can take fairly low humidity.  You must adjust them to it first though.  You can do this by putting a two liter bottle top  over the plants for two weeks, then every day after that, raise it just a little until it is off.  Too much and the plant will burn.  Winter is coming though and humidity and temps will drop to dangerous levels for VFTs.  It might do better on a sunny windowsill (assuming you're not up for dormancy this year).  I too live in Florida (South, Boca Raton) and my plants grow on a mixture of windowsill, porch and terrarium.  All are doing well, though the  best is in the terrarium.  Generally, the key is: The higher the humidity, the better rate of growth. Scientifically this is because the plant loses less water through transpiration.

Hope this helps.

SF

As long as you keep the water trays full then it shouldnt be a problem with drying out. (1/2 inch of distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water ONLY)
As for heat, VFTs are pretty resilient plants, mine are regularly subjected to +90 degree heat with no ill effects (although when the temps break 95 I generally move them into the shade). Keep in mind that plants, like people, need to "tan" to be able to withstand full intense sunlight. Break them in gradually.. start with a couple hours of direct morning sun and then bright shade the rest of the day and then increase it a little at a time untill you can leave them out full time.

Good luck
Steve

When I got my plant it had a dead pod on it and two dead leaves. When should I snip these off, even if I should. I don't want to harm the plant so I'm not sure what to do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cerius @ Sep. 13 2003,2:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When I got my plant it had a dead pod on it and two dead leaves. When should I snip these off, even if I should. I don't want to harm the plant so I'm not sure what to do.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Only snip off the black parts...  ie: when the trap turns all black, snip it off. when the rest of the leaf has turned black snip that off at the base of the plant. Leave any part that is green alone as the plant will reabsorb those nutrients. Try to avoid leaving dead matter attached to the plant, decaying plant parts are an invitation to fungus.

Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when is a good idea to repot your plant(s) into a bigger pot? I got two in one pot and was wondering if I do need to report should I seperate the plants?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I wouldn't risk repotting your plant for at least a year and half from now. I bought the two plants in one pot from here also about 16 months ago. I plan to repot this winter, but trust me its not worth the risk and they really do have plenty of room to grow.

Thank alot guys. I guess I'm a little worried at there appearance right now...(droopy from shock) But from what I've been reading they start to grow fast. Thanks again

Is it 2 plants in a 3 inch pot? You might want it to be one plant in each pot. I once put 2 venus flytraps in one 3 inch pot to get the crowded effect and boy did I see that effect. LOL
tounge.gif
The bulbs were pressing each other to the plastic pot.
wow.gif
I could easily tell there was a lot of stress on the plant. As for soil, if you put tea bags into you water supply you won't have to repot. Teaed water will have adcidic influences on the potted peat soil so the medium won't become nuetral and useless.

No who do I listen to?!?!?!?
confused.gif
Well...I'll figure out something. Anyways...just regular tea bags in the water tray?
Ok...I don't have one now..guess I'll get one..We had a nice shower all day today...it was like a rainforest. I could tell the little buggers enjoyed it.
biggrin.gif

Back