What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new owner of venus flytrap who needs a bit of help

Hi everyone,
I've not long bought my first venus flytrap. Everything has been going well until I noticed the traps were starting to get overcrowded in the pot so i repotted it using normal compost from the garden centre. Since then the traps have gone a bit black and yellow. I'm not sure if my problem is similar to the other one posted on here but any help i could get would be appreciated. If possible could you email me at missjiggy23@hotmail.com or if not ill try keep checking this forum. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forums
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">... i repotted it using normal compost from the garden centre[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If it's the same kind you can put your other houseplants in then that is the problem.  Their roots are being damaged by the minerals and nutrients in the compost.  Venus Flytraps grow in very nutrient poor soils and catch insects to compensate for that.  You need to repot in a mixture of pure sphagnum peat moss and perlite, vermiculite, or washed sand mixed 1:1.  Also only water with distilled, rain, or RO (reverse osmosis) water.  Most tap water contains minerals and chemicals that build up in the compost over time.

To clean the old compost off the roots, fill a small bowl with purified water and gently swish the roots in it.  Then gently rinse the plant with more purified water before placing them in the damp peat compost.

I find the compost wets quicker with warmed (not hot) purified water.  I then let the compost cool to room temp before placing the plant in it.

I just wanted to add nothing
smile.gif

But wanted to totally agree with what BigCarnivourKid said.

Also,

I will add that these plants DO NOT like to be repotted!

Once you have re-repotted and given it the right conditons, it will take some time for the plant to recover. We are talking weeks to months.

So just be patient and allow for some time to pass and the plant will be fine!
smile.gif

Back