What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing from seed

T

Tynan

Hello all. I bought a VFT seed kit at Christmas on a whim. Set it up as instructed. I wasn't expecting anything given the cold dark winters here in the UK. However on checking it today, there are many very very small green leaves that I assume to be the VFTs. I have had it covered with plastic on a south facing window sill in a saucer of rain water. Since starting it 6 weeks ago, the instructions have vanished. I remember the next step was to uncover the pot immediately. After that.....

Would anyone be so good as to take over from there?

Hello Tynan,
Simply move them to a place with bright light and humidity above 40%. The seedlings grow best at room temperature. One more thing it will be about a week before they put out any real traps and they will be very small.

I assume you know all about keeping care of them with regards to water etc. since you've got them this far.
Keep them on a windowsill, preferably where there's a radiator nearby. In my house (Lancashire) it's pretty chilly on an unheated windowsill at the moment.
Now you'll have to wait about 2 years to get decent sized plants
smile.gif

Lancashire!! If you can do it in the grim dark north I should in the sunny sarf. Two years? You kidding? I need my fly problem this summer dealt with this year!

Oh yeah, I grow tons of flytraps here in the northern wilderness
smile.gif

Sorry to break it to you but it takes a couple of years to get a decent sized flytrap from seed - that's why nurseries use tissue culture (test tubes and agar) to grow them. Persevere with your seedlings but find a nursery that sells VFTs. They usually appear for sale in May, or I could e-mail you where to get them from now.
Visit www.sarracenia.com/faq.html for some info on your seedlings.

I'm not even sure they qualify as seedlings yet! No big deal. It was just an impulse buy. At least I didn't buy the banana seed kit! Thanks anyway.

Back