What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to grow cuttings?

Help, I had a few left over stems from black VFT traps, and i pulled them out, and they have the white stuff on the bottom, now what do i do to grow another whole plant? Someone told me cover it with soil

Okay heres how i did it.

the white part is in the spaghum moss. Also, I lightly misted it with distilled water so the moss is almost soaked.

TrapsRus, Sounds like your off to a good start. If you haven't done so already, you can place it in a ziplock bag to help keep the humidity up. If it's to big for a ziplock then a plastic bag will work. Now all you have to do is wait a couple weeks for the plantlets to show (no gaurantees). Wait until the plantlets have several roots and leaves before planting them in their own pots.
Also, if you have an antifungal spray/powder, use it. The damp, humid conditions are also good for growing fungus.

I have it in my computer room, since i have several computers, on all day it gets very hot in here. No need for bag.

Heres a pic.

it is sitting on top of a tissue box thats taped to a small window in my computer room, for plenty of sun and humidity.
cut.jpg

In the picture it looks like your leaf cutting is resting on a paper towel with a little peat moss over the rhizome end. If that is the case you should definitely place it in a bag to hold the humidity. The warmer the room is the faster the water will evaporate from the soil and the leaf. Since the leaf has no roots to draw in water, it will lose water faster than it can absorb it, especially if that is all the soil (in the picture) that the leaf has to get water from. The bag will keep the humidity trapped with the leaf and slow down the amount the leaf loses to evaporation. I would, aslo, move it out of direct sunlight until the plantlets develope roots.

So, even like 3-4 hours of direct will kill it?

If it's the intense sunlight you get in the late morning (10:30 or so) to late afternoon, the heat will cause problems such as cooking the leaf to just drying it out because it can't take up water very fast. The morning sun is a little weaker as is late evening sun when it's dropped down to the horizon a bit and the day starts to cool. A couple hours of either should be OK. I'd keep an eye on the cutting and move it out of the direct type of light if it looked like it was getting stressed or too hot though. Just keep in mind that the leaf is working under the handicap of not having roots as well as also having to make a whole new plant.

I am currently doing the same thing and I had a question. DOes it have to have indirect sunlight for only a bit? Or can it go without light, yet not in a dark place??

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
!

I would go for the bright indirect sunlight to help the leaf photosynthesize food.  The weaker the light the less efficiently it can make food.

You can also use artificial light (fluorescents).

OK. I hope I got the right PeatMoss. I just grabbed the only thing Wal-mart had last night at 11
wow.gif
0 so it will have to do.

It is called: Shultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss.

Ok. I am happy now because I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Back