What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering

I am new to VFTs.  Just got them yesterday.  There is a lot of talk about watering by placing them in a shallow pool of water.  But, do you also water the soil from the top?

Also, is bottled spring water OK (ex: Poland Spring)?

Bottled spring water BAD... bottled distilled water GOOD. Rain water and reverse osmosis water are also good. Spring water has minerals in it that will kill CP's over time. As far as watering from the top goes, if you're careful and don't blast your plant with huge volumes of water it should be ok. I use both the saucer method and top watering on my plants. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I currently have a bunch of happy plants. Also there are some plants that don't really like to sit in a saucer of water, I think mostly Nepenthes.

Hello Ptanka,

There are only a few types of water that will work for your plant.

Distilled, Reverse Osmosis, or Rain. Every other water will contain something that will harm the plant. Salts, chemicals and minerals are often in tap, drinking, purified...that isn't on the label. TO be safe, only use 1 of the 3. If you use anything else you are taking a chance on killing the plant.

For these plants, it is best to water from a saucer and not from the top. Watering from the top can cause rotting, mold, and you will lose soil. If you water from the bottom ( or saucer ) you will allow the plant to take what it needs as it needs it. This would be the best way.

Please keep us up to date on how your plants are doing
smile.gif

ok never mind Jaie got to it first
smile.gif
His answer is better anyway
smile.gif

(Edited by unknownclown at 8:44 am on April 9, 2002)

Back