What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full sunlight--wow!

I put my flytraps outside for a second day of "hunting," and they caught nothing. Not enough bugs around yet, I suppose.

However, after two days outside the traps are twice as red as they have been, and I take this to be a good sign. New leaves are coming up faster. Deterioration of "iffy" leaves accelerated too; these went from a greenish brown to black and withered.

So while I was getting growth before, it appears that conditions could have been even better for them. I think I will have to get them a plant light to supplement the windowsill sunlight on those days that I do not move them outside. Has anyone else tried this? Is it important that I time the plant light to correspond to the actual length of the day? Any fear of knocking them into dormancy if I leave the light on too long, or forget to turn it on?

--Steve

No don't worry, a plant light will work great and don't worry if a couple times a month you forget to turn it on. There are cloudy days in nature. Go ahead with the plant light!

I suggest buying a timer that allows you to set when the lights go on and off during the day. You plug in the timer and plug the growlight into the timer, and it'll turn on in the morning and off at night automatically the time that you set it. If you want a nightlight, set the light to turn on at night and off during the day! lol
smile.gif

Just light alone isn't going to be a factor in sending the plant into dormancy.

And if you are using another light source, that light will never be as strong as the sun, that is why you will have to run it AT LEAST 12 hours a day. So don't worry about leaving it on longer.

Your option for more light will be a good one, I think that you are doing the right thing.

Keep us informed of your progress
smile.gif

Back