What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesomeness

• Thread starter MeutOfNess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly vft
M

MeutOfNess

I just now fed my plant a fly VFT btw and it was so awesome!!!! I've never seen it done rightbefore my eyes and now I'm just in utter shock that was the most amasing thing I have ever seen a plant do! umm btw do feeding insects to your VTF help with growth?

welcome to the forums!
Venus flytraps catch insects because in the wild, they live in bogs with little or no nitrogen and minerals. The VFT catches insects to make up for this need, and yes, it does help growth.
-spec73

Hello MeutofNess

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

Glad you are enjoying your VFT. The bugs they eat are kinda like "fertilizer" for them. The plant will not die if it doesn't eat, but the snack is an extra boost. If you leave your plant outdoors, it will feed naturally. Its fun to watch the flies buzzing around the traps and if you're lucky, to see one get caught before your eyes.
smile.gif
(Don't trick the traps just to see them close, though...you can wear the plant out).

If you have any care question, you can check the care sheets, do searches and ask questions.

Have fun!

Suzanne

One note of caution: A large juicy bug in a trap will often lead to that trap turning black in several days and die because of excess nitrogen etc. Filling all of the traps with big juicy bugs may kill the plant. One bug a month should more than meet the plant's needs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One note of caution: A large juicy bug in a trap will often lead to that trap turning black in several days and die because of excess nitrogen etc. Filling all of the traps with big juicy bugs may kill the plant. One bug a month should more than meet the plant's needs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

One bug a month is plenty to ensure good growth. However, if you leave it outside, don't panic if it catches more than that.

Every one of my traps feeds itself on my plants which are outside. I am lucky to ever see an open trap. They are all quite happy, but remember plants indoors behave differently than ones outdoors.

Back