What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i'm writng a book and for those with all those question on how to grow cps look here                                                                            

INTRO: Venus flytraps ( Dionaea muscipula ) is the most well known cp in the world . It was first described by the govenor of north carolina , Governor Arthur Dobbs . He named it flytrap sensitive and was later known as the venus flyrap named after Diana , the greek goddess of love and beauty . It was also called the Tipitiwitchet . It belongs in the family Droseraceae .

DISTRIBUTION : this plant is only native to north and south carolina but it has had sucess in being introduced in a few other states such as florida , new jersey , alabama , and northern california . It lives in roughly a hundred-mile radius from Wilmington .

TRAPPING : this plant catches its prey just like a bear trap . Insects are attracted to the red inside of the trap . The insect goes to the plant thinking that it is a big piece of red meat or colorful flower . It lands inside the trap and sucks on the nectar that is on the rim . The insect must touch the trigger hairs 2 times to stimulate the trap to close . The trap uses trigger hairs because it does not want to waste its time closing on other objects .A small electrical current runs through the trap , after that , the cells on each lobe of the trap grow making it close . Once the trap closes , the insect is stuck in there , the spikes ( also called cilia witch has been confused as the trigger hairs many times ) are used as prison bars for the bug if the trap has'nt closed completely . While the bug in the trap moving arount trying to escape it will stimulate the trap more and soon the trap will close all the way . Digestive fluids are released and the bug is digested . This is one of the most fastest moving plants in the world just like the mimosa pudica ( the sensitive plant ) which is not a carnivorous plant but it is a very interesting and amazing plant . The trap will take at least 10 days to digest , it is common for a trap to die after digesting insects because a trap can only close 3-4 times .

SIZE : this can reach 6 inches to 8 in diamter if it is properly cared for

SOIL : 50/50 peat moss and sand or perlite. Keep soil moist at all times .

CONTAINERS : plastic pots are best with a water tray included , 3-5 inch pots for single mature plants . Any color pot is ok especially white because the sun will heat up the pot if it is darker but white pots will keep the plants cool . The smaller the pot the bigger the traps but it will form less offshoots because it uses its energy to make large traps , the bigger the pot the smaller the plant but it will make lots of off shoots .

WATER : Use distilled water always , use the water tray method and ALWAYS keep it moist .

LIGHT : full to part sun , the more light the redder the traps but be careful because light from the sun may fry your plants if it is too hot .

CLIMATE : warm temperate plants , they need warm summers and chilly winters , tolerant of light frost

GROWING PLACES : greenhosue , terrarium ( must take out in winter for dormancy ) ,  outdoors , windowsills , bog gardens .

FEEDING : any type of bugs that are 3/4 the size of the trap , watch out for flies because they can cause fungus . NEVER FEED HAMBURGER MEAT

FERTILIZERS : NEVER USE FERTILIZERS , but if so then mist 1/4 strength of the fertilizer on the leaves , miricid , superthrive , epiphytic and orchid fertilizers can be used . fertilize only1 time a month .

HUMIDITY : 50% or more is good but it does'nt need much for healthy growing , just remember to keep the soil moist at all times .

TEMPERATURES : 70 to 95 degrees F , keep cooler in winter , they can survive short periods of 100 degrees .

TRANSPLANTING : Best done in early spring

FLOWERING : the plant produces small white flowers in spring , it is best to cut them off to save energy for the plant because it will be have a very exhausting effect for the plant .

DORMANCY : Dormancy is best done by taking the plant out of the pot on thanksgiving day , spray it with fungicide , wrap roots with peat moss or wet paper towel , put it in plastic bag , place in the refridgerator , and take out on valentines day . Remember to take off dead plant matter to avoid fungus .

PROPAGATION : Division , vft's will produce offshoots and will develop into a clumping plant if not removed , Leaf cuttings ,  you can pull a leaf off  with its white base intact and place it on top of peat moss , it will make plantlerts on its base , Seed , when the plants flower pollinate them , when it makes seeds , sow them or refridgerate them for later use , they will germinate in a few weeks . Tissue culture is another way to proagate

TIPS : this is a very easy plant to grow , you can find them anywhere such as grocery stores , plant nurseries , hardware store , florist shops and many more places . This plant usually comes in a small plastic pot with a cup on top .Choose the healthiest plant because most of the plants are usually half dead .Most ppl say it is a plant that is impossible to grow but it is actually very easy if you give it the correct requirments . Most ppl will think these plants come from hot steaming jungles but thats not true , they come from the great USA in north and south carolina in the swamps . If you ever go there and see the plants please do not collect them , instead just take pictures , they are endangered and are being threatened everyday so if you take them from the wild that is considered poaching and if you get caught you can face up with a fine of $50,000.00 and/or 1 year in prison .Don't be worried if your plant looks dead in autumn because it just wants to go through dormancy ( sleepy time for plants ) .I recomend to cut the flower scape if it every produces one because it will save the plants energy . There are a few simple rules to follow to make this plant live , always keep it moist because its a bog plants , always use peat moss when transplanting , always use distilled water , never feed hamburger meat , always keep humid , and always have fun .

WEBSITES :
www.petflytrap.com
( this website has the best cp's in the world in my opinion )

wink.gif

Great Care sheet!!!
I grow mine in Temperatures of 55 to 80 degrees F , and they seem to do better in these temps...
confused.gif

I think this Topic should be pinned, people are always asking these questions that goldtrap has answered, and if this is pinned no one will be pestered anymore by people asking the same question over and over and over.

Diana was associated more with wisdom and hunting, you are thinking of Aphrodite.

Hi. just curious why a white pot would be a preferred color. Would it be due to keeping the roots cooler?

Also, why do smaller pots produce larger plants?

Looks nice overall but you might want to modify a couple of points to better clarify, you'll have some very confused newbies otherwise.

6inches to 1 foot?! Try changing that to 4-7 inches with some cultivars reaching up to one foot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">CONTAINERS : plastic pots are best with a water tray included , 3-5 inch pots for single mature plants . any color pot is ok especially white . The smaller the pot the bigger the traps but it will form less offshoots , the bigger the pot the smaller the plant but it will make lots of off shoots .[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Last I checked, this statement was still up in the air because it looks like a lot more has to do with growth patterns then just pot size. You might wan't to remove that bit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Mar. 13 2003,11:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great Care sheet!!!
I grow mine in Temperatures of 55 to 80 degrees F , and they seem to do better in these temps...
confused.gif

I think this Topic should be pinned, people are always asking these questions that goldtrap has answered, and if this is pinned no one will be pestered anymore by people asking the same question over and over and over.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
mmmmm, their are a lot of opinyons in the care in it. It's good and everything, but I wouldn't use it as a rule book or anything. But then again, I've been writing my own too, so I'm probubly bias.

Goldtrap said,
this can reach 6 inches to 1 foot in diamter if it is properly cared for; ... any color pot is ok especially white . The smaller the pot the bigger the traps but it will form less offshoots , the bigger the pot the smaller the plant but it will make lots of off shoots .

I would certainly like to see a 12-inch diameter VFT (with a ruler in the photo for scale).

I also would like to see some documentation or reference about the statements concerning container size and white color.

Hmm, as far as the white color on the pot...I would imagine that goldtrap's stating to use a white pot to try and reflect some light back onto a nearby plant...kind of like if you wrapped all the pots in aluminum foil.

I think it is helpful...but everyone has their own special way of taking care of plants. I think I have a great system until dormancy and spring come around then they die. This year I will see how things work out *crossing fingers*. Believe once I get past dormancy and not having the vft's dieing I will enjoy them more.
smile.gif

Travis

I hope you don't plan on publishing what you posted... lots'o'errors.

The red could also mean much more that raw meat!

But let's let the young man do another draft, at least he has ambition.

Ok before I start in on a few things, let me tell you that this is a pretty darn good summary of a VFT, so please don't feel as if I am picking it apart cause I think its bull cause like I said its put together quite well.

You may wanna change that to most VFTs if taken care of properly up to maturity will grow to a foot in diameter.
It may also be a bit much to fertilize the plants once a month I think Id go at the most every other month if not less.

OK and not to knit pick... well maybe
tounge.gif
I'm not sure about this sentence.....
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> this is one of the most fastest moving plants in the world just like the mimosa pudica (the sensitive plant) The trap will take at least 10 days to digest, it is common for a trap to die after digesting insects because a trap can only close 3-4 times.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It is in definite need of a period unless you are implying that a mimosa is carnivorous, which I'm more than positive you know isn't. Actually I don't see any reason to mention a mimosa at all.

I also think since you went in such detail that you may want to explain the water tray method a bit more and perhaps that you shouldn't water from above.

Maybe also mention that feeding hard bodied bugs is a bad thing and may cause the trap to turn black.

It might also be a good thing to add to the transplanting that you should try hard as possible not to disturb the roots to avoid shock.

And at the end where you mention that you can find them at most stores half dead you might want to suggest flushing the pot with RO, distilled, or rain water since practically no store takes the time to use the proper water for these plants.

Hmm.. ok aside from those things I don't see anything else I would add, although you may wanna put it through spell check
tounge.gif

I hope I didn't knit pick too much, Well done Gold trap
biggrin.gif

thats for your suggestions and comments , remeber I only put it here so ppl would get info and so I could get oppinions to write my book abotu carnivorous plants buy i will not publish it until I get everything right and until i become a true expert . i will defintily update it when i have time . ye si know that mimosa pudica is nto a carnivorous plant , diana was anemd after vft , dionaea , diana .a white pot is better becauseif you keep it in the sun , dark colors will heat the poit but white pots willkeeo the roots cool and will not overheat the pot .Smaller pots produce bigger plants because it will sue its ebergy to make bigger planst rather then off shoots . sry about the 1 foot part , i was very sleepy at night making this care sheet . i will definityly edit soon .

Hey Goldtrap thanks for your caresheet, and your replying back. I hope your book does well. I also have amassed alot of notes from
Slack,Cheers,Lecoufle,D'amato, and Pietrapolo. Maybe one day I can write a book.('
wink.gif

Or a website. Or a book and a website.

-Darcie

P.S. I've never heard of the mold from dead flies hurting the flytrap.

I think what Goldtrap meant was that a white pot is good for REFLECTING HEAT, NOT LIGHT if you have it in a sunny window or something.  I certainly wouldn't use a black pot;

I think we can ALL agree with his last statement; that petflytrap is the BEST.

I think smaller pots produce larger traps, in general.  In the wild when researchers have come across a VFT growing in a confined area, like between a ' rock and a hard place' so to speak, that it grows notably larger traps.  Smaller pots must duplicate this; as long as it isn't too root bound.

I THINK YOU HAVE A GOOD CARE SHEET; DO A LITTLE TWEAKING; THEN LAMINATE IT !

Yeah a 12 inch diameter is something, mine was about 9 inches across last year, maybe a little more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (newbie-flycatcher @ Mar. 19 2003,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah a 12 inch diameter is something, mine was about 9 inches across last year, maybe a little more.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
If Green (one of my flytraps) rossetted during the summer, it would have about 11 inches, but it doesn't, it grows upright so it's about 5.5 inches tall, lol

Back