What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big bug

• Thread starter craycoolz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
C

craycoolz

I have a venus fly trap that has caught a fly much bigger then it. it is cought but half of it is sticking out of the saide of the trap and it is to far in to pull out. what should i do?
wow.gif
wow.gif

Try cutting of the half that is sticking out make sure not to cut any teeth. This happened to me when I had my Cps out on the porch and one of the vfts caught a fly bigger then it trap. The worest that can happen is the trap becomes moldy and dies and you just cut it off.
alien.gif
--Phil

thanks but the problem is the fly is to fat and the trap cant close all the way

Can you push the fly all the way into the trap?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It happens out in the wild...they don't always catch the perfect meal. Mine have caught grand daddy longlegs and the legs stick waaay out (waving around, sadly...).....and bugs that are too large or too small. I leave them be and they are fine.

The trap may die but there will be more to replace it.

Suzanne

wow.gif
Oh my, Plant-a-Kiss! That must be gruesome to see the daddy long legs struggling like that. *shudders* Hopefully that didn't last too long, did it?

Cougar...I'm afraid it did.
sad.gif
It was rather gruesome. Those legs waved (weakly) for a day or two. I'm not much for killing anything so I prefer not to see such things. I know its nature, but can't help but feel for them when they struggle. I know...I'm a weenie.
confused.gif
But what takes place naturally I have to accept. Mostly mine catch flies and loads of them.

I had one horrifying experience...I was photographing my flytraps and a fly was buzzing all around the one I was working on. Dang thing landed in the trap and triggered it just before I snapped the pic. Much to my horror, the fly's head was sticking out of the teeth! Just the head...I couldn't push it in and I didn't want to pull its head off. And even worse...it was making the most awful little sound...like teeny tiny squealing! I had to leave! Came back later and the little guy had wriggle out enough for its "shoulders" to be free. So I gave in and pulled it out the rest of the way and off it flew! The little ingrate didn't even say thank you!
wink.gif

Suzanne

Don't Feel bad, Plant-a-kiss. I'm a weenie too. I prefer not to see things get killed, and when they do, I hope it's quick and I don't have to watch too much, save for when I whack one with a fly swatter, but then that's very quick and easy, no struggling and the fly never knows what hit him.

Back