What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salt air?

Hi guys, No problem with getting rainwater here in Fort Lauderdale for my recently arrived vfts. They are real cuties. We got 10.2 inches during cocktail hour yesterday…three cocktail equals’ two five gallon buckets of fresh rainwater.
Food should be no problem since we are the flying insect capital of North America.
I am growing them outdoors, in pots, setting in a shallow pan. They are under an awning just inside the shade line. My question is; I live very near the beach and wonder if the salt air…salt spray during a strong Northeaster…will cause a problem. Any advice from someone with experience growing these little fellers in South Florida would be greatly appreciated.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
alien.gif

I don't personally have any experience, but, do you have other plants in the same area? If you notice white spots (usually salt) on the leaves, then there might be a problem. If you do decide to keep them out there, i'd flush the pot every so often (regularly) to try and get rid of any excess salts or minerals.

Other than that, i'm sure someone else will be able to give you a better idea about your local.

Good luck.

I know this will go against what everybody thinks about salt and cp's, but these are facts.

Alot of cp's grow near the ocean, including vft's. I know of some places that they grow within a couple of miles from the ocean. Some places that have vft's and other cp's have brackish water (freash and salt water mixed) during storms. The key to this is the sandy soil quickly flushes the salt away.
In austrialia cephs grow on cliffs that sometimes get overspray from the ocean. I'm sorry that I can't explain this better but I don't know all the facts.

I think you'll be ok with growing the vft outside as long as you flush it once a month or so.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ May 28 2003,12:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know this will go against what everybody thinks about salt and cp's, but these are facts.

Alot of cp's grow near the ocean, including vft's. I know of some places that they grow within a couple of miles from the ocean. Some places that have vft's and other cp's have brackish water (freash and salt water mixed) during storms. The key to this is the sandy soil quickly flushes the salt away.
In austrialia cephs grow on cliffs that sometimes get overspray from the ocean. I'm sorry that I can't explain this better but I don't know all the facts.

I think you'll be ok with growing the vft outside as long as you flush it once a month or so.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ozzy- I agree with everything you said. Cephalotus has actually been found very close to the ocean, sometime within 10 yards of the high tide line. (literally&#33
wink.gif

Oh, and I live very close to the ocean (like a mile),
(edit:)and the salt air has never bothered my outdoor cps.

EDIT: good luck on growing your cps, and welcome to the forums, Lauderdale!
-spec

I agree with what Ozzy has to say about this. Salt may be lethal to some CP, but it seems that in both these genera salt plays a part in their ecology. That being said, be careful....there is a vast difference between a plant growing in habitat and a plant growing in a pot.

I live right on the coast, and Ive never had a problem. I wouldnt worry about the salt air at all.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess my vfts should do ok this close to the ocean but just to be safe I think a good soaking in rainwater once a month can't hurt anything.

As long as the rain flushes the pots out from the top down, I can't see the salt building up to leathle levels
wink.gif

And if I remember correctly, Florida has a large population of pharel VFTs

The population of vft's in florida are in the panhandle, closer to georgia and alabama, FT. Lauderdale is hundreds of miles south closer to Miami.

Didn't McGuyver(?) use to boil salt water get pure water in his shows? O'well, I would not worry about salty air/rain water killing your plants.

Travis

Travis,
If you capture the evaporate and filter off the condensation you'll have fresh water.
smile.gif
I think boy scouts set something up with plastic wrap over a bucket in the sun...kind of like a solar still, only boiling the water and using the steam.

Hey Lauderdale

I Live in Lauderdale By The Sea and have had CPs for atleast 4 months and I have had no problems so far..

LenG444

Back