What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant??

Is Exotic Gardens ever going to offer the giant VFT?? If not where can I get one in the U.S.?
Thanks,
Buckmaster

*sigh*ur only proving ur own ignorance........

Oh Mondo, I truely am sorry about your poor plant but this guy didnt do it.
Ok Buckmaster there realy isnt such thing as a giant vft just mature vfts. Most places don't advertise them because they use them to propagate(?) more but if you call them and ask for them specifically you will have better luck.

Actually there are several "Giant" varieties of VFT, including Giant, Dingley Giant, Low Giant and South West Giant. I do not know of any dealers that are currently offering any of these varieties but at least a couple of them will be starting to do so within the next few months and most of these have them posted, try a thorough web page search, you should be able to turn up a number of sites.

Thanks for backing me on that greencrunch. I have tried a "very thorough" web search, as in I spent almost three hours trying to find one. I turned up nothing in the U.S. I found some in Australia and the U.K. but none here. If you find somebody that is offering them, please let me know.
Thanks again!!!
Buckmaster

P.S.- Mondo, next time you might try doing a little research before jumping to conclusions

Hi Buck, I sent you a message with the info.

hi, buckmaster

i e-mailed you some info too, i hope it helps

OH crap your right I completely forgot about those
sad.gif
Sorry I dont know where the heck my head was.

People hear GIANT and the automatically think "Seymoure".

Gian flytraps, Dingleys, and others, are giant because they can exceed 2 inches on their traps, I believe some have reached 3, but not much more...

Someday, I am sure, some little geneticists will make something bigger, and wholly inneficient... won't that be interesting...

The two most popular giant forms are Dingleys, and BigMouth.

I am not aware of anyone who currently has stock in them. (But I have not gone looking either!)

First,

Mondo - BE NICE!

Second,

We're considering the Dingly Giant... though, I'm waiting to get a few out of culture to see exactly HOW giant they are.. .. I don't have much faith in some of the types I hear as being "giant" ... so we'll see.

If so, it'll be here around July of this year.

What does the Dingley Giant look like? I know the South West Giant is basically a normal green/slightly red traps with long vertical leaves and 2" traps.
I also recall seeing a giant VFT on the internet with huge traps but really short, ground hugging leaves.
Another thing - are the non-trapping 'leaves' called leaves or petioles. I think I saw somewhere saying it was only correct to call the short stem joining the trap and leaf together the petiole.

I haven't seen a great picture of dingleys giant, but from what I can tell, it's 'meat' is in it's traps, it seems like it might be a type of clumping cultivar, looking a little like a green dragon on steroids...

but hmmm.. my memory of the pic may not be right...

Back