What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I gots another question....

Hello everyone!!!

I just need some reassurance that what my venus fly trap is doing is normal, that its only dormancy....
As i said before all the orignal traps on my plant, when i bought it, are dead. New ones grew and more continue to grow, BUT they are also starting to die. They get only so big and start wilt.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Raven

Wilt? That sounds bad. Turning yellow, brown then black is the normal way the traps die off....if the whole leaf is wilting, it may be a sign of it being too dry, pests, fungus, or probably other things I'm not thinking of at the moment. Can you describe the conditions it's in? Temp, soil, water, light, etc?

oK...

By accident i put it in that Sphagnum Peat Moss. It is under (not directly) a lamp light. The temp is a bit cool 72F, then warm 82F (I live in a barrack at Ft Knox, Kentucky... yeah weather is wacky). I give it plenty of water, i followed the plant care sheet on this website. And it its not covered by plastic.
Only the traps are turning brown, the leafs are fine. I do find little bugs buzzing around it some times, like nats. Could that be killing it?
confused.gif

I asked a question before whether my plant was in trouble when all my orignal traps died off, everyone said dormacy was the culprit. SO i dunno...
Any suggestions?
thanks

Also, i've only had it for a month....
sad.gif

What kind of lamp light and what kind of water? Is the lamp left on all the time?

The lamp is just a regular over hang lamp, and its not left on all the time... just during the day. I give it distilled water.
I followed the this websites care instructions.

There are no traps that can take bugs... they're all too small and barely opened.

You're lighting is probably inadequate. If you are using incandescent lighting it isn't giving the plant the correct lighting. You will need flourescent lighting to give the plant the best chance, and even then you'll want it to basically be on top of the plant.

Spagnum Pete moss is fine....just mix it with perlite or sand.

VFT's also like direct sun, but have to be acclimated.

Instead of having that light over the vft I would put the light some were else (maybe for reading). The regular light bulb is to bright and hot. If you ever touch one after five minutes it is purty hot. Just set the vft by a window or something. It may not get the pinkish/redness to it but that is ok (do not get me wrong lighting is very important for propper vft growth and health).

Good Luck,
Travis
smile.gif

Edit:
I would not transplant it now, it is to close to dormancy and the shock may go through may kill it. Just my opinion...

thanks every one....
i'll wait on replanting it, and i'll put next to a window...
thanks a lot for your help!!!

raven

i have a vft that is growing in pure peat (no perlite or sand at all). every few weeks, i gently squeese the sides of the pot to help loosen the soil. seems to be working fine for now... it also sounds like you repotted the plant when you got it. another possible theory could be that the plant is in shock.

i would try and place the plant in another location, or (if the lamp that you are using for light is very close to the vft) replace the bulb with one of those screw in floresent bulbs. when looking at the screw in bulbs, make sure that it's a "cool white" bulb. also, if there are several cool white available, go for one that has a higher "lumen" number.

technoracer

Back