What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting

• Thread starter Ulzar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pots
Is it ok to transplant my VFTs into unglazed clay pots?

If not, is there any way I could glaze them, or make it viable to plant my VFTs in?

People generally don't use them because they build salt, they obsorb water, and they get hot. VFT as we all know like to stay wet so a clay pot would always hold water. My hydrangea was in a clay pot and algae grew on the sides of the pot in less than a month! Very gross.

Glaze is used like paint and it comes in different colors. When you are done painting you put whatever you want to glaze into a kiln. My art teacher has one and I think it cost &#362,000. Unless you plan on mass producing glaze pots, I recommend you just buy glazed pots from the store if you want to use them so badly. But glazed pots still heat up, so forget about growing plants in full sun.

Bottom Line: Plastic pots are the best.

Joe

(Edited by Statik2426 at 11:47 am on May 18, 2002)

What if I were to line the inside of a clay pot with plastic?
(cutting holes to drain water, of course)

Would this prevent it from building salt, absorbing water, gorwing algae etc?

I think you should plant a cactus in your clay pot and get a nice new plastic pot for your VFT. They have plastic pots that look like clay pots.

If you plan on watering the tray method, the clay pot will still sit on the water and suck it up... PLASTIC POTS... PLASTIC POTS... PLASTIC POTS PERIOD.

Forgot to mention it's harder to get the plant out of clay when its time to repot, unless you break the pot.

If you REALLY want to use the clay pot, how about lining it with plastic as you suggested, but with no holes, and use it as the water tray, and put the plants in a smaller plastic pot sitting in the larger clay one.

John

I personally loathe plastic (unless its 1950s plastic!), but I finally had to bite the bullet and use them. Plastic pots do seem to work best with CPs, but you can also use glazed ceramic as it will retain moisture. If you use unglazed clay pots you will be watering watering watering watering...lol...as the water will evaporate fast!

Suzanne

Back