What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theres a new plant in the house

O.K. so I got everything about general care. Not too tough (xcept for the temp thing. Even indoors Moscow, ID is FREEZING) I got a little on propigation too. The main thing I can't figure out is how to identify what variety my plants are. There is no color in the leaves and the plant itself is still relatively small.

A couple of further questions on propigation: anyone ever used rooting hormone on thier cuttings? And what about devision. Can you take a large plant and cut it it two or are the roots to sensative to move.

Thanks all

nadroj

This site will give you an idea of what some the different varieties look like:  VFT varieties
If you bought your VFT in a store, it's probably a "typical".

Rooting hormone doesn't hurt, but I can't say if it helped my leaf cuttings either.  It may have been an old batch of powder though. The most important thing with leaf cuttings is getting some of the white part of the rhizome with the leaf.

As for divisions, someone who has tried that will have to answer.  I can tell you that messing with the roots during the plants growing season can send it into shock, so any activity that disturbs the roots is usually done in the spring just before they come out of dormancy.

Hello and Welcome!

I would let your plant get established for a few weeks before I deprive it of
leaves for propogation and so on. In the mean time; if you want more plants, buy more (I'm up to 20). Then you will only deprive each plant of a leaf or two.

You can tell when a VFT is ready for division. It will start having more than one growing point where baby traps originate. Then, they should divide relatively easy. Try not to touch the roots and be sure to get some roots with the division. You can slice the existing rhizome with a sharp knife; but I can't bring myself to do that. I feel it is riskier because of the open wound left that can rot in its moist environment, but I'm sure that it can be done.

I think root hormone is fine, If you are going to do quite a few; I would do half with and half without and post the results
here to share with everybody.

Be sure to get a healthy relatively young leaf; with trap intact, and to pull in a downward motion to get some of the white off the rhizome; this is where the rooting genetic material is. Lay your cuttings face up under a pinch of moist peat in a covered tray and give it good light. Then, patience, as it will probably take a cople of months.

It would be interesting to see if the root hormone speeds up the growth. I'm going to do the experiment myself as soon as some of my new green dragons are well established.

Happy growing!

I'm long winded.

About your temperature there; If you put your potted VFT'S
in an empty say, 10 gallon aquarium; not only does it help with humidity in the cold winter months ( I take it you can skip dormancy this year) but will help with drafts and raise the temperature under flourescent lights, etc.
Don't cover it! Leave the top wide open.

I found it also keeps little tempting fingers from teasing the traps and pets, etc.

I went so far as to have 1/2 inch standing water at the bottom, but found that the humidity was too high, at least for now. VFT'S don't have to have enourmous humidity; it was just assumed by alot of people because they are packaged under a clear lid.

VFT'S also don't want to be drenched all the time too;
when you first water them from the tray below; the peat may become soggy, but let it go to a cool moist before watering again. A good rule of thumb is to not let the soil go light in color, before watering again. That's a little too dry. Always water from below.

I have my VTS in the setup described for a month now and they are thriving!!

Course I bought good stock from this site!

Thanks all.

I appreciate the input. I think I will do the thing with the empty fish tank. I already have a couple that I use as mini-greenhouses for asexual propigation and seed germintation. I might have to make a whole mini terrarium out of it and get some other small plants to grow in it. Any suggestions as to some plants that will STAY small? I have a habit of growing things to the largest posible size so any type of Bonzia techniques will probably fall on deaf ears.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Hello again,

I put mine already potted in an empty aquarium; however, if
you want to do a terrarium, then that's fine too.

You will have to bare root dormancy them next year if you plant them directly in the medium in the aquarium. (either that, or put the whole thing in the fridge). But you might have some plants that do not require dormancy in the same setting.

If you want to get around this, you can put the pot and all hidden in the surrounding medium, but this will leave quite a void to be filled when taken out for dormancy.

Someone else will have to help you on compatible species good for terrariums.

p.s. I've seen posts from numerous experienced VFT owners
and they say if you want many and bigger traps, then confine your VFT to a smaller pot so that they will concentrate on trap development instead of root development, as would happen if put into a wide open environment. This seems to be another point NOT to plant directly into the aquarium. If trap size isn't important, then fine.

I hope I've helped you more than confused you,
confused.gif

Back