What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus fly trap not closing

H

Hybrid VTA

How do I get my Fly Trap to close. It isn't dormant because it is flowering. I I clueless. Please help.

First, you don't want it to close unless you are feeding it, if you are feeding it and the bug is live the bug will trigger the trap to close by moving. If the bug is already dead then you need to gently stimulate two of the trigger hairs in close succession.

Again though, you don't want to trigger the trap unless you are feeding it. The traps only close about 5 times after that they will die.

OOOOOH I know why .......for once!
biggrin.gif

If it's flowering it is draining the energy from the plant so the traps don't have enough energy to close!

Do you think I'm right!?

Mine are also flowering and still eating well.

You may be right on the lack of energy theory though, I'm guessing the plant isn't in the best shape at the moment. Leave it alone (remember to water it! )for a month or so, don't fiddle with it just give it time to adapt and recover.

If the plants is on a decline, you might want to nix the flower. If it's health is fine other than the not closing thing, don't worry about it. Are they older traps?

I had a similar experience with my VFT's last year. It turned out to be because they were cold. We had had a pretty cool spell (it was June, and under 65 for about 3 days). They would only close if you stimulated the trigger hairs many times, and then they closed REALLY slowly.

Also, to expand on what Vertigo and Maehem said, traps only close a few times before they cease to function (they may not actually die right away). The mechanism that closes a VFT trap is a sudden growth spurt in the cells that line the outside of the leaf. This causes the leaf to fold in on itself. To open back up, the cells on the inside of the leaf grow. And yes, this does mean that the traps grow a little with each meal (I haven't tried to measure ever, and I'm sure it's virtually undetectable to the human eye). Once the cells have maxed out in size, the leaf can no longer close, and becomes just a regular leaf (like on a non-carnivore) that is capable of photosynethis, but not trapping.
Good luck!
biggrin.gif

Thank you everyone.

The tempature is 82 degrees. And the humitity is at 60% They are in constant sunlight.Is that right?

One other thing. I have to plants. Both aren't eating, but only one is flowering. The flowering plant had 1 living trap! The non-flowering has 3 and is growing 2 more. Everytrap deasen't eat! please help.

Well, two more questions that need answers to help that one.

1. Have they ever closed or eaten?

2. How long ago did you receive the plants?

I have had the plants for two months.
I have never tried to feed them, there were no flies out.

Hello,

If triggered enough times; artificially or otherwise; they eventually won't work. They get weaker with each trigger.

Older traps lose their ability to close, as well.

Some traps won't close after 1 meal.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ April 22 2003,10:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, to expand on what Vertigo and Maehem said, traps only close a few times before they cease to function (they may not actually die right away).  The mechanism that closes a VFT trap is a sudden growth spurt in the cells that line the outside of the leaf.  This causes the leaf to fold in on itself.  To open back up, the cells on the inside of the leaf grow.  And yes, this does mean that the traps grow a little with each meal (I haven't tried to measure ever, and I'm sure it's virtually undetectable to the human eye).  Once the cells have maxed out in size, the leaf can no longer close, and becomes just a regular leaf (like on a non-carnivore) that is capable of photosynethis, but not trapping.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
wow.gif
WOW!!!! I never knew that, schloaty!! You learn something new every day.
smile.gif

Back