What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dying?

S

Stever Beaver

I got this flytrap Oct. 29.
I've been keeping it in about 1/2 inch of distilled water.
I've also tried to keep it near a window with some sun.
I live in Illinois, and the weather is a bit cool.

The leaves have never "opened up" from the shipping.

The leaves have been drying-up (dying) one by one.
Now there are only two left that look OK.

Is my plant dying? Is there something I can do?

http://mail.med.uiuc.edu/~cvetko/flytrap.jpg

Hi Stever Beaver,

IT almost looks like the plant hasn't received enough light. A plant that dies from various other reasons (fungus, bad water, etc) usually dies VERY fast... but low light results in a rather slow death.

These plants need FULL BRIGHT LIGHT, if not direct sun... then near direct sun.

Additionally, if the window in which it sits gets too cool (regularly below 65 degrees) then it could start going into dormancy. Though this usually doesn't happen until the temps get considerably cooler... it will START to happen if the temps get gradually cooler over a period of time.

IF you would like, contact me directly to discuss possible issues or resolution.

pcrane@petflytrap.com

I remember when that was my flytrap but I had no idea that the plant needed more light, alot more light than I thought. Try about 2-4 florescent tubes for you plant and since its not natural sunlight give it about 12-14 hours a day of it and try keeping the light close to the plant if its 2 tubes. Also try to not always keep the pots of the plants always submerged in the water and within a week or two you'll see the results of this. Just try to be patient.

Hey Stever Beaver
smile.gif

I was wondering since it has been 10 days now, how your plant is doing?

Doesn't look like this guy ever came back
sad.gif
... I know he never contacted us about it.

<sigh>

There isn't anything left on the plant that isn't dried-up and brown. I agree that it probably was a light problem.

I'm going to try get a setup like you've described (with florescent tubes) and try again with a new plant.

I'm sorry to hear about the plant
sad.gif
I was hoping it got better.
Hey you know with the new plant kit you can take advantage of the sale going on and order the plant when you have the set up ready. Just a thought.

Steve

Write me:
Jaie@petflytrap.com
or ICQ 519031

Lets see what we can do for you. :smile:

Back