What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worms

I noticed a few (4) little translucent worms rolling around in the soil of my VFT pot when I watered it. They were about 5 millimeters long, with little black heads.

Is this a bad omen? Should I do something?

Whatever the case, I fed them to my sundew.

Have you seen little black flys near your plants? I'm guessing they are fungus gnat larvae. They eat fungus. They or the fungus they feed on have destroyed some of my wifes Amyrilis bulbs (sp?). I havent noticed any damage to my CPs but people say they can cause damage. The only damage I've seen is to my Drosera leaves from the molding dead fly bodies.

Maybe someone who knows more about fungus gnats can provide more detailed info.

I'm starting to think no one REALLY knows much about them here. I hear a lot of "I think"s in the subjects. And you know what that means?.......

Reasearch project for Darcie!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Fungas gnats seem to eat seedling or new leaf. They don't really bother full grown plants very much.

these are great now you dont have to worry about fungus problems. but if they begin attacking new growth its time to get out some pest spray!
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (petflytrap @ Mar. 26 2003,07:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">these are great now you dont have to worry about fungus problems.  but if they begin attacking new growth its time to get out some pest spray!  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ew, pest-sprey? Why not use it as an excuse to get a sundew enstead lol
biggrin.gif

Pick the little beggers out of the soil and feed them to your sundews.  I have also put six or so in a drop of water and fed that to the smaller traps on my VFTs.  Not much left when the trap opens back up
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
. Keep an eye on the slimey little beasts when you feed them to small sundews, I have had a few almost excape before I could put them on a larger leaf
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 26 2003,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pick the little beggers out of the soil and feed them to your sundews.  I have also put six or so in a drop of water and fed that to the smaller traps on my VFTs.  Not much left when the trap opens back up
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
.   Keep an eye on the slimey little beasts when you feed them to small sundews,  I have had a few almost excape before I could put them on a larger leaf
biggrin.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh that water drip thing is a great idea! Now if only I had some in my pots, lol. Remember last fall when I had them grey things? Well, I now know they where not the gnats, but I have no clue what they where, lol. Oh well, 2 days in the bucket cleared em out.

Back