What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few general questions...

Hey guys, first post!

I'm kinda new at all of this, and reading through the forums has been extremely helpful so far.

First, I saw a few aphids on my terrarium flytrap today, and I used "Schultz Garden Safe Fungicide 3" on it (it's also apparently an insecticide/miticide). The active ingredient is "neem oil extract." Will this kill my plant?

Also, a dormancy question. Will a shortened photoperiod trigger dormancy alone in flytraps, or are cold temperatures required? In other words, does the plant somehow "sense" the cold?

I went to Home Depot and set up a pretty nice terrarium. Now I know that flytraps need good air circulation, but it is okay to cover the top of the aquarium for a while to let humidity build up? When I mist my plants and leave an opening at the top of the terrarium, the water evaporates very quickly. However, I'm wondering if leaving the plexiglass top closed on the tank might have some bad effects?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from cooper on 1:57 am on May 2, 2002

Also, a dormancy question. Will a shortened photoperiod trigger dormancy alone in flytraps, or are cold temperatures required? In other words, does the plant somehow "sense" the cold

Dan[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hello! The plant will go into dormancy because of short days and cool wether. Welcome to the forums!!

speaking of dormancy,,,,i read somewhere that it is up

to the owner of the plants to kinda have the plants

dormant. is that true?
confused.gif
and if so,,, is it NECCESSARY

for my plants to be dormant???and how do i force my

plants to go dormant??? sorry just a little confused

VFT's must have dormancy. The main factor is daylength. I have a friend in Brazil who grows the plant without a cold dormancy: with shortening days, the plant produces less leaves, and smaller traps, but it survives and puts up a flower scape each season. A good plan if you do not wish to risk your plant is to put it in the fridge for 3 months, this has always worked well for me. Keep it just moist, and be alert for fungus growth.

Back