What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new flytrap

B

BlueFang

Dear FlyTrap fans,

I have just found this great site, and bought my second flytrap today.  I live in Malaysia, and it is hot and humid here mostly.  My first flytrap died an agonising death after I naively placed it in direct sunlight for hours.  It is now black and wilted, and I doubt it will recover.  My second flytrap which I purchased today is better than the last, more traps, and leaves are larger, looks stronger to me.

I would like to confirm the care plan I have for my new acquisition :

1. Water once a week with a spray bottle, sparingly, at the sides of the plant.

2. In the shade, outdoors, or indoors in a cool, moist bathroom.  Keep in mind that it's 36 C here in Malaysia.

3. A mosquito once a week, just for the fun of it (Hey, I gotta enjoy it sometime, right?

4. A terrarium?  Any ideas on how to set up one?

5. I'm considering re-potting the plant into a much larger pot.  is this advisable?

Any input or replies are much appreciated.
Great to be here!

Regards,

BlueFang

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Water once a week with a spray bottle, sparingly, at the sides of the plant.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I use the tray method that would eliminate you from watering once a week or so (temp and humidity matters how often you will be watering your vft). You do not need to spray but if you want go ahead.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">4. A terrarium?  Any ideas on how to set up one?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just use a regular fish tank. I suggest not using one during the summer months as it may cook your plants. Since you live in Malaysia I am pretty sure you will not need a terrarium.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">5. I'm considering re-potting the plant into a much larger pot.  is this advisable?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I would wait until Late Winter Early spring to transplant.

Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have new people here. Any more questions feel free to ask away.

Travis

confused.gif
I still can not QUOTE! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Travis for the insight
smile.gif

I reconsidered the terrarium idea....I'll go ahead with any modifications after my plant has survived my amateur care for a month .....

Dyflam,

Thanks for that useful link. I did read it, but only after I had posted my queries. It was a very helpful and to-the-point care sheet.

Travis,

BTW, what is the tray method?

Putting a tray underneath the pot. Then fill the tray from a 1/2 inch to an inch of water.

Travis

Hi guys,

I have a new project on hand. I acquired 4 seeds(undried) from the local nursery, 2 pots and moss. IOW, I want to grow flytraps from scratch. Only one thing remains, how do I go about it? Are there any links that could point me in the right direction, or anyone with pointers, please post your recommendations.
Thanks!

Bob,

Thanks for those links, I have viewed both of them and and found them to be informative and visually appetizing.

After reading the FAQs I re-examined the 'seed's given by the nursery, and found them to be duds, unfertilised, and not conditioned for planting. This is a severe disappointment. Furthermore, I read that it takes 2 (TWO!!!!!&#33
wink.gif
years for a plant to mature, I'd rather fork out the cash to get a matured and visually pleasing flytrap. So much for the planting....

Thanking you for your patience with an amateur.

Back