What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transplanting vft/pitcher plants

I have both pitcher plants and VFT's in a small terrarium, and they are starting to get crowded in there. I would like to transplant them. How should I mix the peat moss, etc? What type of peat moss and other items do I need when transplanting them? How much is a "part"? lol sorry..I'm very new to this. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I'm asking the same question on transplanting VFTs so I don't have an answer for that but a "part" in a soil recipe is like say you want 3 gallons of terrarium dirt and your recipe is  long fiber sphagnum, sphagnum peat and sand. You would simply add one gallon of each item and mix til well blended.  In my mixes using mainly peat & sand I go a bit less than 1 : 1 because sand can be heavy and compacting I do more like 1.25 : 0.75 but depending upon the exact materials you're using your exact recipe will vary. If possible trya nd mix up the same as what's in the terrarium you have now because changing growing media can upset the plant roots once they're used to a certain soil type.

Good luck! I have a feeling we're supposed to wait til dormancy before we move out VFTs.
Hopefully someone will answer tonight, I have an itchy repotting finger....
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
The soil recipe for VFTs is 1:1 (peat moss:sand or perlite). Some people prefer 6:4. I have had good results with Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. As for pitcher plants all I can give you is Mr. D'Amato's reipe which is 1:1 LFS:perlite.

LFS=Long fibered Sphagnum moss

The Sarracenia forum can help more on your pitcher plants.

Hope this helped.

Back