What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question

• Thread starter sunsetblaze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow vft
S

sunsetblaze

Do i really need to put in a humid place? and in a terranium/ tank? Thankz for the plastic suggestion.... how soon will it take for my VFT to grow and not be wilted?

It depends.  If you live in a desert area with very low humidity then you might have to grow it in a terrarium, but generally, no, VFTs don't need high humidity.  A lot of us grow ours outside with the pots in a tray with ¼" to ½" of water in it and several have them in bog gardens with other CPs.  As long as the humidity is 35% or higher and the temps don't drop below 40°F, they grow fine.

As for how long it will take your plant to recover, it depends on the plant.  It could be a couple hours to a couple days.  The best thing you can do is get it watered as soon as possible.  I would keep it in the plastic until it's looking better and then open the bag gradually over many days until your VFT gets used to the lower humidity.  Do the same thing with sunlight.  Gradually give it more  direct sun over a period of days, until it can take as much direct sun as you can give it.

Sunsetblaze, you don't have to start a new post if you have more questions about this.  Just click the 'Add Reply' button at the bottom and enter your question.

smile.gif
Best wishes

bubba as i have named mah vft is currently still wilting and turning black i had been watering it with brita water the first couple of days and now switched to rain water is it possible that i have over watered it? and these past couple of days have been a little cold and raining now i have cut off the blacken leaves and traps but i dunt know what else to do bleh ........Help!!!!! any advice out there?

Don't feel bad... I watered my vft with Spring (mineral) water the first couple of days!!! Many traps turned yellow first then black, so I cut them off. I'm new to this carnivorous plant thing also.
smile.gif

It has probably got damage to the roots from the Brita water. That type of filter doesn't remove a lot of minerals. If you have enough rain water or distilled water then flush the pot thoroughly to remove any mineral build up in the soil and replace the water in the tray with fresh water to get rid of the minerals there. This will help the VFT recover a little quicker. As long as there is new growth showing in the center of the plant it will likely recover. As for over watering a VFT it's pretty hard to do. They grow in bogs in the wild and are used to a lot of water.

I hope Bubba recovers soon
smile.gif

If you have just received the plant in the mail, it will take some time to recover.

The major things you can do are:

1) place the plant in a tray of water, and keep full. It is not best to water from the top, but rather allow the plant to take the water as needed. Keeping 1 inch of water in the dish will be fine.

2) good lighting. The plant will do best with good light. Partial shade and a few hours of bright sunlight is best. If you do not have that, then the next best thing to do is to place it under a light. Cool White lights, 6-8 inches away from the plant, 12 hours a day.

3) the right water. Distilled, rain, Or Reverse Osmosis ( high filtration water ). Tap water, spring water, mineral water, water through a brita filter are not good.

4) No fertilizer. It will catch a bug for food. ( and it doesn't have to do that
smile.gif
)

5) warm temperatures. The plant will enjoy temps ranging from mid 70's-mid 90's The soil temp is a concern if it goes over mid 90's ( that is soil temp and not room temp ).

-----

The best thing that you can do for the plant is to give it the above and lots of love
smile.gif
It should be ok
smile.gif

Back