What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does any one know if you can do this

can you self pollinate a venus fly trap or do you need two plants to pollinate each other?

I think I read somewhere in my quest for knowledge about these plants that they could be self pollinated. I'm only about 75 percent sure though.
Buckmaster

You can self pollinate, However, in the long term cross-pollination is better of course. Allowing them to flower can stunt growth so make sure it is worth it.
:)

You can self them no problem. That is what I do with all "can-be-selfed" CP's. As my Sarracenia and Drosera and so on. So yep! No problem to do so. Once in a while when the flowers close they will self themselves but it is better to do it by hand to ensure a good seed set.

I hope you're not planning to pollinate one for seed. :shocked:
Flower stalks can really weaken a plant and seed take many, many years to reach maturity.
If you just have to have seed, try to obtain it online. This way, your plant won't be harmed!
smile.gif

I'd stick with leaf cuttings or just buying new ones from PetFlytrap.
Chris

Back