What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My plant is not getting big juice lusiouse killer leaves... Even twh two that sprouted from the center of the rossette that had MASSIVE beggingins to traps, turned out small!!! Why wont my plant grow ANYTHING GOOD??? They barely close fast enough to catch a fungus gnat! In fact, they DONT! I have them in a covered terrarium, so it's humid, they get light (now they get about 3-5 hours of sunlight on a sunny day. Its not too hot (yet), and they are drinking enough good water!!! They are under the closest to ideal conditions I can provide! Of course, there is always outside, but I wouldnt consider that ideal seeing as how they'd get demolished by grains of dirt, aka, my brother's rat like friends... I dislike them very much... I fear for my plants for them... I am guessing It could be lack of dormancy? I just bought them in february, and I am guessing that maybe they were allowed to flower (odd, because they both produced a flower stalk which I imediatly severed) before... Maybe its from last year... Maybe the company did not allow them a dormancy period... Anyone here own a Gubler's VFT that they bought LATE winter??? Any suggestions? I've let them eat some bugs, but not tooo many (well...), so its not lack of minerals... Perhaps repotting them? Before it gets too late into spring? I suppose its pushing it now, but they need SOMETHING...

one of my vfts was producing slow so i feed one of the traps a piece of earth worm and that seemed to super charge the growth and make it all around healthier

Parasuco, just let your plant grow and try not to worry about how effective it is catching bugs. In time I'm sure it will mature and be able to fend for itself. In the meantime just nurture it and make sure it is growing under the proper conditions. Be patient.

Yea, but its like... like it missed dormancy... Do i just put in into dormancy a bit earlier? beggining of september maybe? Just to let it catch up?

I honestly dont think that 3-5 hours of light is good enough for the plant and that could be part of the problem.
You can track down the grower (GOOBERS) to find out if the plant did go thru a dormacy period. Do a search their site should have a number to call.
If it hasn't had a dormacy don't stress it, you more than likely can get by until next fall then put it into dormacy. It doesn't have to go to bed early unless you realy want it to.
Although...
smile.gif
If it had a flower stalk then my guess is that it did have a dormacy and very well could have had another before you bought it like you were saying.
One way or the other there's not much you can do but give it time maybe more light and Hm... usually when a plant closes slow its not warm enough or the traps are still too young.

Well, it gets three to five hours of sunlight pouring through my window on them, but i've got my desklamp, with a growlite shining on them from when i get up at seven oclock, until when i go to bed which ranges from ten to twelve... so they get enough light, kinda, but not like... only three, and then they are in total darkness... I'll have to find out how much sun comes in this weekend when i'm home all day, and i can time/keep track...

Back