What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food

Is there any type of insect that will help a vft grow bigger, healthier, or brighter?

Chinski,

There are not any specific insects that will cause a great responce. Best advice would be to just let it catch what ever it can.

Pyro

hey chinski

i agree with pyro...

i let my flytraps catch whatever insects are unfortunate enough to stumble into the plants...

mine seem to catch alot of daddy-longlegs...kinda cool because the daddy-longleg's body will be trapped in the flytrap but the legs are usually left sticking out squirming to get free...pretty gruesome.

ive read that insects that are poisonous can be bad to feed to you flytrap (spiders, some ants, etc)..when the trap disgests the poisonous bug, the trap turns black and dies. ive had this happen when my traps eat some kinds of the ants on my deck...

anyone else know about this?

Chris,

I had something similar happen to my butterwort involving an ant. At a guess I'd say the formic acid in ants does not mix well with plant matter. Why it would be any worse than caustic digestive juices is beyond me though

Pyro

hmmmm...

weve learned a valuable lesson here...

ants can give you heartburn...

I think the best thing to give them is what they are known for...flies. Although my larger guys seemed to like earwigs.

Back