What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to vft and made a big mistake

• Thread starter Cat's and Plants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
C

Cat's and Plants

Hello everyone. I am a new VFT owner. I think I have made a BIGGGGG mistake. I fed my plant ground beef.... I have heard that it will kill the plant. What do I do now?? I would also like to know if this plant is harmful to cats? I have 5 in my house and so far they haven't bothered my VFT, but would like to know before they get to it. Any help would be wonderful.

Hi Cats

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

You made a common mistake. But don't worry...your plant will survive. Just...no more burger! The traps you fed will probably rot. But if you give it proper care, it will just make new traps. The traps die off naturally anyway, so there should be more on the way. If you leave your plant outdoors it will feed itself...you don't have to feed it. Just make sure your VFT gets lots of sunlight, PURE water (rain, distilled or reverse osmosis only), and a peat/sand soil mix. Don't trigger the traps just to see them close.

VFTs are not harmful to cats. More likely the other way around...cats might chew on the plants or knock the pot over. So you might want to protect it from the kitties.

There is lots of helpful care info on this forum so check around. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck and let us know how its doing.
smile.gif

suzanne

Thanks for the advice on the burger and the cats
smile.gif
I have 3 new sprouts already growing in and 3 are about to die (4 if you count the burger one). Two wouldn't eat the burger
sad.gif
I was trying to give them and the third one won't open up. Then I found a fly that was dying a few days later and they wouldn't take that either. I think the store I got it from, the people played with it too much. The dying ones are starting to turn brown on the edges of the stems even the closed one. Since I know they are going to die anyway.... can I go ahead and cut them off?? I haven't changed the soil, it's still in the same container I got it in. I have well water here and I do filter it to take out all the impurities, and the filter doesn't add any thing to the water. I hope that is ok for it... other wise I might not be a member long. I did spend a lot of time reading all the post before I joined.... couldn't find any thing about the burger.... My plant sits in the kitchen window and gets lots of afternoon sun, and I have a bowl of water that it sets in. One more question please.... I couldn't find a lot about the dormant period that it is supposed to have. As in what to do... and how long to do it for.... do I water it.... feed it.... See when plants go brown around my house (witch is kinda common)
sad.gif
I just pull them out and plant something else. I keep trying but I just forget to water them until they droop. I would like to keep this one alive as long as I can. Thanks again

If any traps are dying, go on and cut them off. Cut off just the trap if the leaf is still green (for photosynthesis). Yes, if the traps were played with a lot they could just be worn out. Happens when the plants are out in public display. Your plant will grow new ones and you can start anew with no burger or teasing!

Hopefully the plant came in the proper soil. They are usually potted in sphagnum moss or peat moss. If they are in potting soil that would be bad. Then they would need repotting. But I would think they came potted in acceptable soil.

I can't say your well water is bad and I don't know what kind of filtering system you have but most of those do not remove ALL impurities unless you have an R.O. system. Distilled or rain water is best. Distilled water doesnt cost too much...and I keep rain buckets outside to catch rain for "free" water. If there are impurities in your water, it will build up in the soil over time so you may see a decline in the plants. There are probably other water experts here that could discuss well water and filters...I just stick to distilled to be on the safe side.

As for dormancy, knowing where you live would be helpful.
smile.gif
The general rule of thumb for dormancy is from about Thanksgiving until Valentines Day. I don't have to worry about it too much...my plants stay outside year 'round (except for exceptional cold). Other folks toss their VFTs in the fridge during the dormant season and that works fine too. Let us know where you live and we can give more help on that issue too.

Stick around here and you'll be an expert in no time! And then you will move on to sundews and pings and sarracenia and neps and ...and.... Muuuaaahahaahaaaahhhhhh!
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

The traps are looking fine, but the leafs are turning brown. Right up next to the traps and just on the sides, are starting to turn.
  I promise NO MORE BURGER !!  
tounge.gif
 The lady at the store where I got it from told me that was what she gave hers....  so I was only taking the advice of the sales lady.  
  I think it is potted in the correct soil... it has a label on it that says if I re-pot it to use sphagnum or peat moss.  I sure hope it is anyway.
  I have a Culigan water filter system in my house, but I took your advice and put a jar out side to catch rain water for it.  Is it ok to store the water in the fridge, or should I just leave the jar open and keep it at room temp in the house.  I don't want to leave it out side because of misquetoes.   But if there is anyone out there that can help with the water issue I would love to hear any words of wisdom.  
smile.gif

Now on to the dormancy issue.  I live on the Eastern Shore in Maryland.  So if you have any advice about what to do I would love to know.  I would also like to know what would be classified as exceptional cold?  What about watering issues and feeding??
  Well as far as me moving on to other ones.... I would just like to keep this one alive for a little while.  If I can do that it will be an accomplishment.  If I ever get it to bloom, then I might think about another one.  
  I have also heard that you should put water in a container under the VTF (witch I have done) but once the water is gone you shouldn't add any for 24 hours.  Is that right??  Up to this point I have kept water in it all the time.  Once again... I am listening to the sales lady where I got it from.
  Thanks for all the wonderfull advice.  Maybe my VTF will have a chance now.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks Dew, Now I'm not sure what to do with my plant. I don't have anywhere in my home where it is safe from the cats and still get plenty of light. Now I will have to call the Vet on Monday morning.

Has anyone else had any incounters on pets and VFT or any more advice???

Back