What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are there symptoms of dormancy?

J

jamieanne

i am new to the fly trap hobby, and i live in sydney australia, so the fly trap's dormancy period is opposite of the united states'.  the temperatures have lowered now that it is autumn, with night-time lows around 55-60.  i currently keep my plant outside in its pot with natural sunlight.

it has been doing really well, despite being picked on a couple times by some curious birds.  since the colder weather, a lot of the traps and leaves have turned black.  i have trimmed these off, and i wonder if this is a sign that it needs it's dormancy period?

i don't know what type of soil it's in, but i have not transferred it to any other soil since i got it two months ago from the nursery.  it's sitting in a small tray with a constant supply of water in the tray.

since i live in australia, i heard this is good weather for the fly trap and i might not need to put it in the refrigerator for its dormancy.  what do you think?

could i get some opinions on all of this, i don't want the fly trap to die - i've grown attached to it!  i feel so dumb and embarrassed not knowing what i'm doing, but this topic is hard to find information on....

thanks for your help!

This sounds like the plant is going dormant. I think you should be able to keep it outside, but I am not certain. If it is a single specimen that you are afraid to lose, better to go with the fridge method I think. I have a friend in Australia that can help you with questions:

donovanperret79@hotmail.com

Please tell him Tamlin sends his regards!

I think it getting black traps is because it is going into dormancy. Another reason for the black traps could be your not using distilled water. I don't think you need to put your plant in the fridge because they go dormant with low light levels and short days.

Did you notice the traps becoming smaller and sitting flat to the ground ie. not on upright stems? This is a sign of dormancy. They need temperatures of 1-about 14 celsius for dormancy.

tamlin:  i will email your friend for his opinion - thank you!

tristan:  i am using bottled spring water, should it be distilled?  i thought the spring water might be better because distilled water has no nutrients or minerals.. i used to work in a fish store and we would never recommend using distilled water for fish for this purpose, but then yes i realize venus fly traps aren't fish!  but i have been using the same brand since i purchased the plant and during the warm months it was thriving, bright green, with light reddish/pink traps.

alvin:  yes, they are smaller and definitely not upright.  australian nights are now dropping to 14c, wth daily highs of around 20-22c (around 70f).  like i said, i keep the plant outside and it does receive natural sunlight, which in australia the sun is quite warm even in colder temps.  would the refrigerator method be a better dormancy?  are daytime temperatures too warm?

For dormancy they need lower daytime temperatures than the 21 you are having at the moment, so yes, I think the refigeration method would be best. Spray the plant with fungicide, wrap it in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge for 3-4 months.

Yes, you should use distilled. Its the build up of minerals over time that harms the plant and then it just dies. They don't want any minerals from the water , just an occasional insect in the summer.

okay, distilled water from now on, but first dormancy in the refrigerator. will the plant need any light, or will it be alright in the fridge? any certain place in the fridge? in a vegetable drawer, or just anywhere?

Back