What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant flowering

S

SPAWN8089

I read online that when a vft flowers it uses alot of the plants energy and it could die. The source said to cut off the stems immediately, unless they are already too long (past 1ft or something). I read that today and my stems are about that size. What should I do? Should I cut them? Will my plant die?
sad.gif
answer as soon as possible please!

If it is a healthy, happy plant, you don't have to; but do you want it to flower? Do you want seeds? It takes approx. 5 years for a VFT to mature from seed. If you only have one plant flowering; it will self pollinate; but the SEEDS wil produce better quality plants if it is pollenated from another VFT. If you do cut it off; anytime is alright; I would try to do it before it divides into the flower cluster.

If you don't cut if off, that's fine; it'll probably be alright, but note that trap production will be very slow at this time and for awhile afterwards.  The traps may be smaller for several weeks afterwards as the plant is drained of resources.

It's up to you; alot of people let them flower and they say it doesn't kill the plant.  But it is taxing on the plant.

Don't sweat it! It shouldn't die, just slow down growth and need some pampering... You can still cut it as long as the flowers haven't opened... GOOD LUCK with the VFT and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Thank you all

You're welcome, any time you have a question, don't hesitate...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

what if my plant has already flowered and is quite tall is it better to cut it.

If the flower is close to blooming I'd leave it, cause it's already sucked the energy out of the plant.

Back