What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Set-Up

Ok here it is!

I went out and bought a 5 1/2 gallon glass fish aquarium complete with lid. The light I placed in the lid is a 25 watt full-spectrum "day light" that you can buy at your local pet store for "desert and tropical environment".

There is a layer of washed aquarium rock at the bottom, topped with about 4-5 inches of 50/50 sphagnum peat moss and perlite. Well moistened with distilled water.

The lid is your typical fish tank lid that flips up for easy access. I leave that flip-top up during the day and the lid/light in the middle of the top of the tank so that air can get in one side and escape another, for proper air circulation.

I have a humidity and temp. reader in the terrarium. Humidity seems to maintain approx. 70-80% except for today, which is really hot. And the temp. seems fairly steady at 80-85 degrees when I have the light on during the day.

I turn the light on for about 15-16 hours a day, and turn it off and close the lid overnight. Overnight the temp. in the terrarium drops to about 70 degrees.

My baby doesn't look any better yet, but I just put her and a companion (my hubby brought home another one from the local garden center...didn't seem TOO sick) in there yesterday.

So there it is! Can anyone tell me if all sounds good, or if I'm missing anything? How long should it take for my plants to show signs of improvement as long as they're left alone?

Thanks everyone, the outpouring of help here has been fantastic!  
tounge.gif

That sounds really good. It took my plants about a month to recover except for my first D. spathulata which I lost. I'm sure other people around here have better luck with recovery then me, but I'm a newbie just like you. Good luck. Shauntell

Thanks for the best wishes. :) I hope they survive. I guess I know now to give them up to a month to come back from wherever they are! :)

Back