What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If your vft is flowering look here!

Ooooo... cute pics! Hello, little flytraps! ***waves with her fingers at baby VFTs***

Awwwwww! They've got your eyes, Nick!

BTW, does the fact that both of them produced copious amounts of seeds mean that they have good genes?

Just curious,
FTG

I think this topic just up and died...

FTG, no offense, but this topic probably isn't the best to get a lot of hits that will know the answer, best to start a new topic... In answer to the question, probably yes, especially if the were pollinated by two plants that are completely different gene pools!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Just an addition to anyone who wants seed;
THIS IS WHY LIPOS' SAID WHAT HE SAID WHEN YOU TAKE THE FRESHEST FLOWER AND POLLENATE THE OLDER FLOWER.

You can self pollenate a VFT but it doesn't want to and has adapted a timing stategy to prevent this.

USUALLY,  a VFT will only open one flower at a time on its own stalk within a day or two, and by then, the pollen has already died.  The pollen is good for only the first day. When the flower opens the first day, the pollen is ready, but the Stigma isn't.  Only when the Stigma turns 'fuzzy' is it receptive of the pollen that is long since dead (or 90% dead, anyway) This takes another couple of days. So you must take a flower in its first day of bloom to pollenate the older flower.

What I like to do, but it's tricky, is to cut off the fresh anther with the pollen on it and stick it to the Stigma of the older flower and let it sit. One or two will stick to it and will make sure some 'takes'. I got 22 seeds from a single stalk doing it this way.

Update on my vft seedlings:

Latest photo: 6/25/2003

VFTSeedlings6-25-2003.jpg

Many of these seedlings are deep red.

[Edit 9: 02AM 6/26/2003 by NickHubbell]

These are seedlings from a self pollinated Red Dragon.

They're lookin' good! And they also have your teeth!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ June 21 2003,12:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In answer to the question, probably yes, especially if the were pollinated by two plants that are completely different gene pools!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
YAY!!! The seeds' parents are a Common and a Green Dragon... so... I'm pretty sure that they're from vastly different gene pools
biggrin.gif

My vft flowered today. Is this an odd time?By the way, I will cut the flower.

It is not uncommon for venus fltyraps to flower later in the season. I have a common that I have been cutting the flower stalks off of once a month. It just wants to flower for some reason.

Hi all

Just saying hi to everyone..... I will post some things here...
I Grow A lot of Plants ( Flytraps, Sundews, Pitchers, ect...) Built a small Bog , and also a small greenhose... My son and I Do this together.. Hope all had a good 4th of July.....!!!!!!!!!

Have A Great day!!!!!!!!! Paso

Not sure this was the right thread or forum to post that reply..............................
confused.gif

FTG, I'd be interested to see if the seed is more/less vigorous, or any difference from a "normal" plant (one that produces less seed) Please keep us posted!! GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Oh I will! It turns out that I am only going to North Carolina, and just for a week. So I'll be able to get back and plant the seeds SOONER!!!
biggrin.gif

I have been feeding my flytraps weekly since early spring. Now I have 11, count them, 11 BIG (traps 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches) healthy flowering flytraps!!!!!!

I have placed all the flytraps that have flower scapes next to each other in a large plastic rubbermaid tray.

WildBill

That sounds like you'll be getting a LOT of seed, Bill.

@FTG: Are you going to the Botanical Gardens at UNC or Chapel Hill?
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Yes, I'm planning on going
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I hope I get a lot of seed this year.

Last year I only got 10 or so. I am hoping to donate a bunch to the ICPS seedbank, and New England Carnivorous Plant Society (www.necps.org). Maybe put some up for trade or donation here too.

WildBill

Well, I got my lens adapter for my Nikon 4300 and have used my set of close-up lenses to take my best photo yet.

VFTSeedlingsRD7-12-03sm.jpg

This image has been cropped and resized.

To see the original image click here for original. Its a very large file. Displays of 800x600 will be too small to see the entire image. Displays of 1280x1024 will also be too small. Be prepaired to scroll. Image is focused on the center. Outer objects are blurry, but were not the subject of interest. You can see the digestive glands and at least one tigger hair on the seedling traps. Plants have traps that are 2mm±.

Back