What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If your vft is flowering look here!

Great photo, thanks for keeping us posted!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

***squints closely at pic*** Wow, Nick! They have you hair, too!

my vft flowered this week but the weird thing is tht the first flower , the petals were kinda like , hhm , how should i say this , deform , it like the edges have gaps in them and also the wierdest thing is that there are what seems to be very very small traps at the tip of each sepal on each flower . on the second flower i forgot what it looked like , i think it just has pleated petals , the third flwoer have6 petals , and the fourth flower has 8 petals
wow.gif
, and the new flower has 6 petals again , and its still blooming . weird ehh , probably because i've been keeping my plants in the greehouse and was to afraid to risk them being grown outside to get some sun , but they seem happier outside and now i feel better

Ok, but I have never let the stem go flower but I have this
little VFT growing next to the ones I bought originally from
here in the small terrarium. Immaculate Conception?
rolleyes.gif

I think that the roots/rhizome probably spread or separated, more or less, the plant(s) took a root cutting of itself!!
smile.gif
GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Picture of my new little buddy, I think he is a Dente...
biggrin.gif

VFT1.jpg

Weird I didnt notice before, but I think I have another one
growing under one of the leaves of the Dente really close
to the center of the Dente. Should I try to seperate him or
would it be to dangerous?

VFT2.jpg

Mm... I'd wait instead of risking the little guy.

confused.gif
i'm confused!! HELP ME!! I don't know what to do at winter!! ANYONE HELP ME!! do i put my vft in a fridge(36 degress F)? What dgress is it suppose it to be?!?!?!?!? HELP!! Winter's coming!!! few months away... Mines sooooooooo little....but the little thing ate a fat fly... wow... actually... i did the killin'.. 1/4 inches... smalll huh? HELP ME NEED HELP WITH BABY VFT"s!!! SOME R GETTING BLACK!!! Turning black!!!!!! please help my good children of god!
sad.gif
they ate a moth too... a small one
biggrin.gif

I want to show you people mt vft tell me how to put pic in? i clicked image but.. weird......
rolleyes.gif

Hey not_wanting2go if you read "my care sheet" by Goldtrap you should have your answers. You can also type in dormancy and do a search. Past that,dormancy can be handled 2 ways. The refrigerator or outside naturally. If possible ,protect from temps below 35F. Flytraps can handle temps lower than that,however, they use their leaves to make food(sunlight). So, it's a good idea not to let them freeze or they will lose their leaves. But,freezing is natural sometimes and plants in the wild do experience freezing.

cool , my vft with the wierd flowers is almost done ripening the seeds , i can't wait to germinate them .

cool , ym common vft has ripened its seeds , there were so many seeds i could'nt keep trck of my counting , i hope they germinate , i am going to germinate them in a jiffy peat pellet greenhouse so that should help .

Thanks! It is a little old... I have asked moderators to clean it up somewhat, but to no avail. If it ever gets cleaned up, I will edit the main article a bit. THANKS AGAIN!!  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

cool.gif

unclesam.gif

I have about 15 flytraps in my in-ground bog. They are pollinated by insects and produce copious amounts of seed. There in no detectable slow-down in plant growth, and now I have small plants coming up in the bog.

I think that the stress/death problem with VFTs must arise when they are grown in stressed conditions, such as in a pot or in the wrong climate.

- Patrick

Right now I have 8 big flytraps in flower and hope for lots of seed. Last year I sent most of my seed to the ICPS seedbank, and Carnibank.

I have noticed the plants do slow down trap production a bit. The plants in flower put out about 1 or 2 traps during the same time non-flowerers will send out 3 to 6. A first this year - a red dragon starting to flower. Yah, I know it will produce "Typical" seeds, but it's still cool looking.

WildBill

Ok, I know nothing about VFT flowering and seed production whatsoever. Why in the blue .... does a red dragon produce typical seed? Does the seed undergo gene alterations while in production or sumthin'...did I hear that somewhere...

The registration information for the cultivar Dionaea 'Akai Ryu' (or 'Red Dragon' in English) specifies "vegetative reproduction" (cloning). The reason is to maintain the unique characteristics of the original selected red VFT. 'Red Dragon' is one of the few cultivars that when self-pollinated produce consistently red plants. I have grown hundreds of seedlings from selfed 'Red Dragon' (F2 generation) and all turned out red. Because of this, I wonder how many of the plants called 'Red Dragon' that are in circulation are the original clone, rather than seed produced offspring.

Just a heads up for all you people who think flowering kills your plant, I had two that made 5 flowers in late july since they were newly bought ones and I just harvested the seeds (around 80 from each plant) they don't grow quite as much during the flowering time, but they do grow almost as fast as no flower at all. The trap size is about average, but again not as big as the others that I trimed the stalk off to compare to. So overall, a flowering VFT isn't a big deal at all. Evene though mine flowered at a very bad time, it kept right up with the rest. SO mainly, the flowering = death or a very weak plant is a myth.

Back