What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White pufs growing on my seedling dirt

fre8train

BANNED
I have a situation where no seedlings have sprouted after about two weeks. I am starting to notice white puffs accumulating on the soil. They look like a cross between small spider webs and cotton puffs. Has anybody ever heard of this is it normal? So far I have only seen one small sprout starting to come up. There are a total of two seed trays and only one has this problem occurring.  I have only watered twice due to the moisture of the trays. They have a small hole to breathe and a 50/50 peat moss and sand.

It sounds Kinda like a fungus/mold of some sort. Could you post a pic? That would help a lot.

Wes
biggrin.gif

It does sound like mold. If you have just "one small hole" that may not allow enough air circulation to discourage mold. Molds and fungus like moist, warm, stagnant air. If you could increase the amount of air circulation, that might help.

Try to scrape it off - I wouldn't risk it!(leaving the mold on)
tounge.gif

I have used grounded cinniamon from the grocery store with great sucess on my sarracenia seedlings when molds and fungus appears. Just a thought.

Well, your seeds could take quite a while to grow so I wouldn't worry about that part. As to the fungi, it's hard to say. Their are plenty that will damp off seedling, but just as many that do nothing but look bad. I've actually had seeds sprout in mold and happly grow among it, untill in my effort to remove the fungi I killed them. So uh, yah I guess I would just recomend keeping the two batches seporet and waching what happens.

I cut a second hole for some more circulation. only one sprout has popped up from about six different seed packets.

SarraceniaObsessed, you used cinnamon? What exactly would this do to the fungus except make it smell good? It is not an active ingredient that I know of, so what's the secret?

SF

SnowyFalcon, I have used cinnamon on fungus, also. Don't know why this "home remedy" works but it does.

alien.gif

Does the cinnamon have any affect on a baby cp seedling; I am reluctant to try anything due to the sensitivity of a baby seedling. Does any mold kill cp plants or should I not worry about anything. I think it is just a sign of being too damp and not enough circulation.

Back