What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT's at Meijers

I just bought two vfts from Meijers. They look really good and are growing in LFS. It looks like they're fresh out of TC so i won't give them dormancy this year. The instruction card that came with them is lousy. It tells you to just put the pot in water and isn't specific on what kind. Also it tells nothing about dormancy and in fact it says to bring the vft inside to grow when it gets cold. No wonder so many people think vfts always die!!

-buckeye

Good job on the rescue! Who knows what kind of horrors they may have been subjected to, if you hadn't come along!

SF

LMAO.. I have found that most of the "care and instruction" deals that come with those plants are little more than a recipe for death.
mad.gif
I mean really.. how hard would it be to print GOOD care instructions on those labels??

Good luck with your new plant
Steve

I agree VFT guy in Sj! It's more of a "How to Kill your plant in two weeks guaranteed". I for one think they should print a link to the FAQ on the cards.

SF

When I bought my first typical vft ( my first vft was a dente ) from SAVE-ON-FOODS it had a label with "butterwort" crossed out in black marker.
laugh.gif

I did see a mexican butterwort for sale there, but it was looking kind of dead so I didn't buy it. Maybe I should have bought it and tried to nurture it back to health, but its too late now.

sad.gif

Even though its depressing to see plants like these end their lives sitting on store shelves with no one to care for them, you have to admit that many of us wouldn't have been introduced to the world of carnivorous plants if it hadn't been for that first half dead plant brought home from the supermarket with the tiny plastic top on.
(like me)

What better way to guarantee a new sale after the death of the initial plants. If the instructions for caring for them long term are included, there would be fewer sales the next year.

Then again, improper care sheets are just as likely to scare newbies back to growing begonias again.

The instructions moine came with, while better thna those listed above, wouldb probably kill thep lant anyway.

The most obvious error was that if you wished to repot, use African violet mix(had they ever heard of sphagnum?...they must have, as thats what the plant was in!). It did describe dormancy, but not in great detail. It also did not refer ot the kind of water to use.

Of course, thats what this forum is for!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]where and what is mejiers

Hey there goldtrap. Meijers is a department store. I think they only have stores in ohio and in a few states surrounding ohio. So that's probably why you haven't heard of it.

-buckeye

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What better way to guarantee a new sale after the death of the initial plants. If the instructions for caring for them long term are included, there would be fewer sales the next year.

Very true nick. They create their own product security. Kind of like lightbulb manufactures. They could make a lightbulb that would last forever but then no one would buy them any more.

-buckeye

Meijers sounds more like a voodoo store , lol
tounge.gif
. I agree with nicks , the care instructions that were provided for me before really sucked and it was sure enough to make fewer sales and also it almost made me never grow cps again
wow.gif
. but now , the care in structions are a bit better around here
smile.gif
but still , sometimes people just don't follow them ( exceot this one woman at home depot that really knows lots bout cps ):D

Meijers is like Walmart. They are direct competitors.

Back