What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My trip to Lowes/Home Depot

YHehehe hear they don`t water them at all!

I was worried I might offend somone....sorry jimscott....just speaking in general....All hail the informed home depo worker.....
biggrin.gif

No offense taken. I just happen to work there AND just happen to be into plants, in general and CP's in specific. Their knowledge is general and unless they happen to hire a person with a strong interest in something; such as, roses, cacti, CP's, etc... the care will end up minimal, at best. In the case of CP's, the adage of,"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" (i.e. tapwater) is quite appropriate. Having also worked in a tropical fish wholesaler, in a former life, I know that employee knowledge can be very basic. Also, the idea of retail and wholesale is to bring 'em in and move 'em out - as quickly as possible. If they hang around too long (shelf life concept), where you have to take care of them, you're losing money.Oh yeah, one of majors was economics. They taught us fancy terms for common sense. anyways, no offense taken.

A little update on one of the VFTs i rescued: im so glad i did. The traps its putting out now are bright red, nothing like any of my other VFTs (all 10 of them). It looks really nice, im very proud of it
biggrin.gif

I thought I'd update on my plants from Lowes also.I bought 2 more VFT's from them so now I have 3.They all are doing great.How long should I keep them in those small 3" pots? I think they would be happier in say a 6" pot but I don't want to shock them by transplanting them or should I go for it?
Mark Wilson

IceDragon, i added some pics in a newer post, if ya didnt catch it, here is the link. Plant Pics - NEW

WOW! Nice red traps! They look like the traps of royal red,what l9ighting are you using?
smile.gif

all im using is 2 cool white bulbs in a large shoplight over all my plants. it really works well. all my plants have nice color.

I`ll have to get one from lowes one of these days.

About a month ago I went by my local lowe's in Roanoke while I was on Christmas break, and a small pot of Rubra caught my eye. I took a closer look (As this was the first time I'd seen rubra on it's own in Lowe's) and the poor thing was JUST starting to develop mold, taking pity on the poor thing (and having an extra space in my collection with the demise of my d. rotundifolia) I shelled out the 3 bucks and brought the little guy home to a dousing of neem and some fresh distilled. Right now, it's sitting in my dorm room under the CF bulb w/ my other sundews (I followed the advice of some of my esteemed forum collegues and spared it dormancy). It's already put up two new pitchers, though due to the light they're pretty green. However it looks happy, and I'm glad that I was able to save it's little life. I'm sure by now it'd me just a mold-infested pile of dirt somewhere if I hadn't seen it.

Now, let's just hope the purps I liberated last summer survive dormancy (crosses fingers and hops off to check for mold).

I've rescued three sundews and three Neps.

The sundews I got were very sad indeed. They were all dried up the substrate was dry as a bone and they were dewless. Now a month later they have doubled in size and have soo much dew its crazy.

The three neps I rescued two were in pretty good shape and even had a few healthy picthers. BUT the other one was a breath away from death. It only had one green leaf the rest were of course black. Now two two and a half months later its got four nice new bright green leaves and is starting to form pitchers.

I guess you could say I'm also a member of the CP Rescue Aid Soceity or the CPRAS for short

I saved a Darlingtona. It is growing like gang busters in it's little reptile waterfall
smile.gif
It's first new trap since being with me is a whole inch taller then the next largest and now it is sending them up in groups of three
biggrin.gif
I can't wait till it adjust to the birght lighting and starts showing me it's true colors
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (monkey1st @ Dec. 07 2003,14:20)]here's a tactic for you all to try (hopefully you're from diff cities).  learn to lie.  tell the jerks at home depot/lowes that you manage the CP collection at your local college/university (or are a grad student or in public research, any plausable lie will do) and kindly ask the chump if they would "donate" their more sickly plants in the hope that you can revive them for research or education.  these guys throw out so many that they really don't care (usually).  if you're vigalent at it and you get any results, you may work up a relationship with the nursery manager and have a steady supply of dead and dying plants to experiment with.  i have a deal where i get them for a penny each, but i have to take home a lot of lost causes for the rare gems.  just last week i picked up a tiny (but healthy) VFT and a dormant cobra lily for a penny each.  

this works best when you actually DO manage the CP collection for the local college/university.  you'd be suprised how many CPs are dying in your local educational facilities.
You don't even have to lie. I just said I was an experienced collectar of CP and that this plant is toast if nothing is done soon and I get plenty of plants for free or $1.
smile.gif

Except for that part about experienced I did the same thing and got some rubra and VFt's for free. But then again, I work at Home Depot on Saturdays - an unfair advantage. Three months later they ar all still alive and putting out new leaves. I decided not to try dormancy on them this year. One of the rubra is kinda goofy. It has several short, etiolated leaves - and one that is ~10" long, growing out of its container. It's a greedy leaf, growing at the expense of its companions.

Next time i hit the depot, i'd love to see if they have any neps. I didnt see any when i was there, but it would be cool to get another.

The way it was explained to me by the person who orders at my Home Depot is that they have two choices: 1)25 VFT's or 2)pot luck. The most variety I have ever seen was S. rubra and P. primuliflora. Not much of a pot luck!

Back