What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Can you hibernate a plant?

How do you hibernate a vft? iI have absalutly no idea on how to do this. My plant isn't dying back or anything.

Hello Snaptrap welcome to the forums
smile.gif

First thing you need to do is read the FAQ pages on VFTs here: FAQ PAGES

After that you should read the "Dormancy" thread that is pinned at the top of General Discussions here: DORMANCY

Those 2 sources should provide you with a very good ammount of information on the overall care of VFTs.
We will need some more information about your geographical location, and the plants conditions (indoors/outdoors, lighting type, temperature ranges, ect ect) in order to answer any specific questions you have.

Good luck
Steve

I could put it in the garage. the average outside temps are about 36 degrees F in the winter. I don't know about light but I could buy a Compact Flouresence bulb from Home Depot And put it on a timer. How much ligh should it have? Would I have to use fungecide if I'm not re-planting it or anything? I live in Northern Virginia. Its an indoor plant and I keep it on a windowsill.

Hi SnapTrap

YAY...another Virginian!
biggrin.gif
Welcome to the forums and...BTW...I like your name.
smile.gif

You can put your plant outdoors (if you can) and let Momma nature do her thing. All my VFTs are outdoor year 'round. They do fine...even in pretty cold temps. They don't need to be fussed over too much...remember, they are outside year 'round in their native environment which includes snow and freezing temps at times.

A reduced photoperiod is needed for dormancy and cooler temps help as well.

Suzanne

I'm also in VA (Richmond, but the plants would probably be put into dormancy in Roanoke). I'm strongly consideringleaving the plants outside, but all the indicators are pointing to a very hard winter this year. However, since I'm at college (with a very small fridge) I have to leave the plants in the care of my less-than-observant parents (my mother has an infamous black thumb, moslty the result of plant impulse buys) so I'm leery of leaving them in charge of my fridge-dormant plants. Which route would you condsider? Also take into account that I'm not going to be able to take either route until december, since I'm visiting family in NH for thanksgiving, and I won't be able to get anywhere near home until about a week before christmas. Is this too late?
The plants have already had their photoperiod reduced to 8 hours a day, with the sill plants (2 purps and a D. Binata) getting less than 4 hours and reduced temps (they turned the AC off, so the window is open a lot for temp. regulation in the room).

guys? I would REALLY appreciate some input on my question. Please?

Well, December is awful late.... but, if that's the earliest you can do, it's better than nothing.  I don't think that there is much your mother can do to dormant plants in the fridge.  As long as they are not too wet, and don't get any mold/fungus, they should be OK.  

Also, I don't think the D. Binata needs dormancy.  This is a wierd plant, cause although it CAN perform dormancy (or at least some clones can), it doesn't need it and will grow just fine without it.

SF

Back