What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LIGHT

• Thread starter Anatol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I got my vft a week ago and it still looks good.I went to the store and picked up a light and a 60 watt plant light bulb.I dont know, but it looks like a lot of light.What do you guys think?

What kind of bulb is it? Is it a compact flourescent?(the twisted up flourescent ones that screw into standard light socket) Or is it one of those oversize looking incandescants with the blue coating? The incandescants get too hot and do not provide enough light for good healthy VFTs. If that is the bulb you have I suggest that you return it in favor of a compact flourescent. Theres no such thing as too much light for VFTs. The more the better. 8+ hours of full sun is recommended. If you must grow with artificial light keep the plant fairly close to the tubes. Close enough to get the most possible light, but far enough away so the heat of the bulb doesnt harm the plant.

Good luck
Steve

Will any compacte flourences work? Or is there some types that are better then others?

Peter, The general concensous is that "cool white" in the 6500+ lumens range is the best. I am by no means an expert on this subject though. I use the best bulb there is for my plants (sun). For more info I suggest reading the "lighting 101" thread in the greenhouse forum.

Steve

I've got four VFTs thriving under a "100" watt CF bulb. I use the quote marks because 100 is the equivalent wattage of a normal bulb, since these are neergy saving bulbs they use MUCH less, and put out very little heat for a LOT of light, very good for growing cp's. My leucos and VFTs are showing decent color (not as great as it would be under sunlight but nice none the less).

Back