What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge traps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the update on the big Green Dragons. For today at least they will be the regular price on the site. However they are too large to put 2 in 1 pot. So if you want more than one you will have to order them as singles only. If you order online please put a note in the comments box that you would like the Large Green Dragons. We will send the largest ones out first to those who specifically ask for the Large size.
Don't forget also that we have the bare root Venus Flytraps on sale now for $1.99 each. You may want to get some of those at the same time. The bare root plants will be normal size...not the Large Green Dragons.
Have fun! Get those Big Green Dragons while they're hot!
biggrin.gif

Sorry but I don't have the camera set up right now to do pics.
Some people have them on the way already so maybe one of them can post a pic for you.

Well i ordered mine today!! I hope there's still some left!!
smile.gif
I also got some typical and dente bare roots.

-buckeye

Yes...we still have some big ones left! Hope you'll be pleased
smile.gif

I just got mine and its beautiful....what a great shade of red! My bare root green dragon is also very nice.....I just got home a few hours ago and potted it up.....soo happy....thanks for the quick delivery...

OK, I got my order today of the giant trap vft and the bare root green dragon, which I promptly planted. The giant trap green dragon came potted.

In a word, they are fantastic! Better than expected. And since nobody else has done it, I thought I'd snap a quick pick and post it here. The one of the left is the bare-root plant I potted, and the one on the right is as shipped. I literally opened the box minutes before this picture, so they'll look even better in a few days. Anyway, here goes, and thanks PFT!! You have great VFTs!!
vft%20from%20pft.JPG

Capslock

CRY! I wish you guys shipped to Canada. That plant looks amazing!

Wow those traps are HUGE! I can't wait until mine comes!

-buckeye

Capslock...so glad you're happy with the plants!!  Thanks so much for posting the pics ...now everybody can see that I wasn't kidding when I said the traps on the Green Dragons Phil has now are really BIG and very pretty too.  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

20031108-CP-D.muscipula%20'Green%20Dragon'.jpg

Well, i'm not excessively impressed by the size of the traps on this plant, but i agree that Capslock's plant is amazing. This plant is a good size, and should be huge in a year.

nothuge.jpg

I got mine yesterday along with two bare bulbs.  Honestly, I'm not impressed by the trap size, the traps look almost the same size as the bare bulbs and the same size as my other VFTs.  
mad.gif

jhaluska,

I'd say it's more a matter of your "bare bulbs" being nice big helathy plants than the "giant" green dragons being small. For what was paid for THREE nice vfts, it's a great deal! The traps on yours and D muscipula's are indeed smaller than the ones I got on mine, though. They'll probably get bigger as they grow.

Capslock

D muscipula, jhaluska, and Capslock
Well how big are your traps? And what did you really expect the trap size to be? Traps that are an inch big is a really nice size for a vft. Heck, the dente vft that I got during June only has half inch traps.

Travis

For what I paid for the 'huge' trap one, I could have just gotten a third bare root and saved me $6. I wouldn't have bought another green dragon VFT (or the bulbs) if the single plant wasn't suppose to be huge, as I already have 4 other green dragons.

I wouldn't even have noticed until I saw Capslock's VFT.
sad.gif

I'm disappointed.
mad.gif

Jeez, I shouldn't have posted mine, as I think I got one of the bigger ones and other people's are smaller. Hopefully, mine is an example of what the others will look like soon. I don't think you should judge the size of the traps at this time because what really matters is what they grow into down the line.

I never expect plants I order from online vendors to be mature, and always expect to have to grow the plant out to find out it's potential. Wait until it grows several new traps to judge if it's bigger or better than the bare bulbs.

And you have to admit the "bare bulbs" are a lot better than you expected, aren't they? I know I didn't expect much, and was pleased that they are viable, nice plants too.

Oh, and Travis, my traps are over an inch on a plant that barely reaches the edge of a 3-inch pot. I'm excited to see how they grow over the next year!

Capslock <-- A half-full glass sort of person.

3/4" traps. I realize that "huge traps" is a relative thing. I guess i'm still mourning my big VFT with 1-1/2" traps.

Well guys you need to consider that the "regular" size traps are about 3/8 inch and smaller... so getting a brand new plant with even 3/4 inch traps is a huge step up. Given good growing conditions and lots of food they will easily reach 1 1/2 inch by the end of next season. I measured one of my Green Dragon traps yesterday @ 1 5/8 inch and this is a plant that started out last summer with its largest trap about 1/4"

Steve

Yes, I do think the bulbs are a great deal.

Ok, I did some measurements based off the pictures in photoshop (I'm at work so I can't check the actual plant).  Using the pot as a frame of reference and using the measurement tool to find the sizes.  My largest trap on the 'huge' plant is between 3/4" and .9".  While Capslock's traps are about 1 1/4" (assuming a 3" diameter pot).  So thats between a .35 and .5 inch size difference. Or roughly 33% larger traps!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The bare root plants will be normal size...not the Large Green Dragons.

I'm just miffed that it looks like I didn't a huge VFT like Capslock did, but a regular sized one.  I feel taken advantage of.
sad.gif

I hear you, jhaluska. But if you look at the first post, the plants were advertised as having traps "close to an inch" on a small plant. So, it seems like I just got a freakishly large one, but you got what was advertised. Oh, and your bare root plants are bigger than mine!
tounge.gif

In any case, I think this is a variety that produces large traps on small plants, so I think it's entirely possible that mine is just grown a little further than yours and that we'll all have big traps from these plants in the long run. If you look at these compared to the bare root plants, you can see that the petioles are much shorter relative to the trap size on the giants. So, I don't think they're the same.

I'm just saying to hold off judgement until we see what these grow into. I'm more concerned with what I have for the long term than what it's like when I open the box. And I don't think PFT was dishonest in the advertising of these.

Capslock <-- feels guilty for getting a great plant! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back