What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge traps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys those vfts all look amazing! Lighten up!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In any case, I think this is a variety that produces large traps on small plants, so I think it's entirely possible that mine is just grown a little further than yours and that we'll all have big traps from these plants in the long run. If you look at these compared to the bare root plants, you can see that the petioles are much shorter relative to the trap size on the giants. So, I don't think they're the same.

While this is may be true, I have no way of verifying I got a huge VFT. From the trap size (the determining factor IMO), it looks just like a regular sized Green Dragon to me. The length of the petioles does not seem to vary much to me (they are curved more so they don't stick past the edge of the pot as much). Comparing the coloration of mine to Capslock, it appears his is a little more green. His petioles look a little more circular, while mine appear more heart shaped. While this all can vary, its hard to say 'Yes, thats definately a huge trap producing plant...with just normal sized traps.' Reminds me of the Simpson's quote "The mythological two-headed hound. Born with only.. one head!"

What it comes down to me is that we can all agree Capslock's is one of the largest green dragons we've seen, while mine (and D muscipula's) don't appear significantly different than the average green dragon (using the 3 known green dragons bare roots for comparison).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There's a limited number but Petflytrap just acquired some Green Dragons with some of the biggest traps I've ever seen on small plants. The plants are low growing but the plants are very red and the traps are BIG. They should be available early next week for sale. The traps on lots of these are close to an inch long and they look very aggressive. Get 'em while they're hot!!!

Please note that NOWHERE in that post does it suggest in ANY WAY that these plants are ANYTHING other than Green Dragon VFTs which happen to have larger traps than normal. If you feel you have been taken advantage of I suggest you contact PFT directly.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you feel you have been taken advantage of I suggest you contact PFT directly.

I'll do that.

Its funny to see people complaining about the size of the traps as no one in Canada even sells green dragons.

I would be happy for any of those plants.

Greenhouse1 did say that they would be given out largest to smallest in the order your order was recieved. With a sale like this with advertising, it is quite possible that Capslock and others ordered before you. Be glad you got one! At the moment I still have a typical as my largest plant
wink.gif

Cole

well, i ordered mine last night. large or not, i'm happy as a clam as i don't have a green dragon yet (nothing yet on the cutting, vft guy in sj...).

peace all,
technoracer

You know....

I rarely chime in on these sort of things.

But do you people realize how silly you are beginning to sound!

First off, let me say.. that I appreciate you being customers.

HOWEVER... let's get real. Lynda announced that we had larger green dragons... they were shipped by order received. Not to mention, that very few people paid any sort of premium... only a couple people paid $1.00 extra... and that was for huge plants. I believe capslock was one of them.

If you feel like *WE* take advantage of you... try shopping at some of these other stores.

We sent what lynda advertised. You got the biggest stuff we had to send at the time.

Jeez... and they're larger than most of the plants we send out at this time of year.

Incredible.

We try to do something nice... and offer up these big plants... and you people are talking about being taken advantage of?!

Pardon my lack of diplomacy... but this is just irritating beyond belief.

Remind me to never do anything like this again.

The few of you who complained ruined it for everyone in the future.. when we have nice sized plants.

Note to self: Don't do anyone any favors.

-Phillip

mad.gif

Oh...

And for those of you .. who like special deals...

We are going to have some huge nepenthes (in 8" baskets with 7" pitchers)..

but I refuse to announce it here first. Because of this.

So... if you're interested, look in our nep section of our store.. they'll be up soon.

-Phillip

Phil,
MOST of us are very appreciative of all the offers you have made. PLEASE do not let one bad apple spoil the barrel. I for one have been extremely satisfied with all of my dealings with PFT and have always listed your company FIRST on the list when recommending places to buy plants. I sincerely hope that this particular incident will not effect your willingness to make offers available in the forums first.

Steve

Phillip,

It must be frustrating as #### to read things like this thread. I've been cringing for two days now seeing what's happened. But please don't let the unreasonable whining of just a few people spoil what was a fun and cool offer. I had no intention of buying any vfts before Lynda posted the offer. It was because you guys are cool, and because I am able to interact with the company here on the forums, and because of the very existence of these forums that I, and I'm sure many others, do business with you guys.

I participate on several forums on a number of topics, including my own business (you want to see ungrateful, ugly, immature, enraging forums, go to www. battle.net and look at the Diablo forums.) There are always people out there who complain no matter how much you do for them. In fact, it seems the more you do, the more they complain. However, if you can step back and distance yourself from the individuals who complain, you'll see that they are the distinct minority, and don't reflect the feelings of the vast majority.

I, for one, am grateful for both the forums and my fantastic, beautiful, and inexpensive new green dragon vfts.
smile.gif

Max Schaefer <-- Capslock

Just to let everyone know. The green dragons that I have purchased in the past (not this huge trap sale) have had traps that were less than 1/2" in length. It is very hard to get larger traps for the price that one paid for these plants.

The plants you got had larger traps that what is normally sold. They are just Green Dragons that are showing the age of a much older plant. They should be enjoyed, not thought of as "Not as big as I thought it was" plants.

Another thing to think about, I recently bought a Giant form of Venus Fltyrap (not from here), and my Red Dragon (from here) could have eaten the entire plant for dinner with just one of its traps. That Giant Flytrap was $30.00.

Phil please don't get discouraged.  I know everyone here appreciates all the time you and many others spend to make PFT such a nice place.  It made me very sad to see some members complaining about the VFTs they received.  I mean PFT was trying to do a nice thing for its members by giving us a heads up on some large VFTs they had.  No where did they claim these were miracle plants or anything.  They merely said that they were some of the largest trap VFTs they've had in awhile.  I think the people who complained raised their expectations too high.  I mean these are just fly traps!  They don't get very big!  Please everyone think about what you’re saying before you post!  

-buckeye

mad.gif
I agree with vft guy in SJ and others. That is sad to hear...Do not let one bad apple spoil everything. Order because you want it - not because of hope! Feel bad for you Phil, do not let this damper your sprits.

Travis

Thanks to those who have offered your support and are happy with the plants and services Phil provides! And sorry to those couple who may have been disappointed. We truly feel these plants were extremely nice for the price and I do know that even the ones which were a bit smaller than the huge trapped ones were beautiful, healthy, and a very good value. They are some of the nicest I have seen for awhile. Perhaps this is just subjective and while some people are impressed with an inch trap, others don't think it's all that. In any case.....I sure won't be giving my opinions much on plants anymore. Maybe I'm easily impressed. Perhaps in the future we'll just make a flat statement like "we now have _ available" and make no comments on how good they look or whatever. We were just trying to let people know how nice this particular batch of Green Dragons was (and is...we still have plenty left).

I believe it was Abe Lincoln who once said you can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Well that was true 150 years ago when Abe said it.. it was true however long ago it was said before Abe heard it, and its still true today. Some people blow their expectations out of proportion, this is a fact, nothing can be done to prevent this. Nothing can be done to prevent people from failing to comprehend what is said and getting their hopes up on something imaginary that they concocted in their own minds. Personally I find it deplorable that people take these fabricated preconceptions into a public forum as a basis to bash the very people who go out of their way to provide a place such as this. But again what can you do?  People have the right to voice their opinions no matter how rediculous or unfounded they are. Those of you who are #####ing about your plants, I urge you to read the original advertisement again and re-evaluate your ideas of what has been offered. If you still believe you have been "wronged" then take it up with PFT directly. As for me I will continue to sing the praises of PFT and the forums regardless of whatever bologna is spouted by the unhappy few.

Steve

Just to clarify something quickly...it wasn't really an advertisement....it was just a personal opinion. I do help out sometimes at PFT but I'm not a paid employee. I just saw these plants and thought they were special and thought I'd share that with everyone else. Bet Phil throws me off the forums for that one
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (greenhouse1 @ Nov. 11 2003,9:35)]Bet Phil throws me off the forums for that one
tounge.gif
If he does I'll personall come to Texas and chew him out
mad.gif
!  Then I'll check out your new digs and get a few more plants to bring home
laugh.gif
!

Always wanted a good excuse to skip work and visit Exotic Gardens
laugh.gif
!

Geez, now i feel crummy.  All i was doing was posting a contrasting example to Caplocks truly huge-trapped plant.  I'm sorry, my intent wasn't to complain or start a riot.  I saw Caplocks pic and was excited about how nice the plant was, and was a bit let down when i saw mine.  However, it is a nice-sized VFT, and at nice price for a non-typical VFT of any size, and i'm completely happy with my purchase.  Please everyone, calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back