What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underwater treatment?

• Thread starter nightbreed
  • Start date
I also have Thirps on my vfts and I was wondering if anyone knows how long you must keep them under the water. Is this method worth trying?

The flytrap can stay underwater for hours. I think the only trick is when you take the vft out you do not put the thirps back on the flytrap. I would leave it in the water for about an hour or so. Then take a napkin or something a skim the surface to get the thirps. Then take out the vft. I would not go moving the flytrap to much, may disturb the soil...If you know what I mean? I really do not think it would take an hour,try fifteen minutes and see what happens.

Then everything should be cool. Maybe not as cool as this dude
cool.gif
but cool. tee hee! Nice to have you around!

Travis

Wow, I can't believe how many are floating on the water. I let my vfts sit for about 12 hours. I still noticed a few on the plants and I imagine there are many I can not see. I did manage to get rid of a lot of them, but I think I will still have to spray them with something. Some looked like Thirps and some looked like micro white legged worm of some kind. All kinds of things are swiming in the water. Its like a micro ecosystem.
wow.gif
What ever it is hurting my plants, I'm getting tired of it.

Also a question about the refridge dormancy method. Can I put them in the refridge at night and bring them back out into room temp (72 degrees) during them day. Will this work or must the temp be constant?

Maybe i'm just nuts, but i believe the minimum time to get rid of thrips was 3 DAYS underwater.  I know i've had VFTs dunked for several days before, that have shown no harmful aftereffects. Remember, there are eggs on there that will be hatching, and you have to drown out the young, too.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Heck, some of my VFTs are underwater nearly always. They never seem to have any beastie problems at all. It only seems to be the ones I try to grow "normally" that get beastie problems.</span>

Healthy VFT's can remain submerged for weeks. This happens in habitat many times in a wet season. By healthy I mean strong outdoor grown specimens. As to dormancy I remain unconvinced that cold temperatures are essential for dormancy, but rather a short day photoperiod is what makes for a successful dormancy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Can I put them in the refridge at night and bring them back out into room temp (72 degrees) during them day.

Personally I don't think you should do this. Going from 35-72 degrees everyday is too much of a temperature swing in my opinion. I'd say go for a more constant temp. Your vft should be fine if you just leave it in the fridge for all of its dormancy. Check out the pinned dormancy post in the general forum if you have any questions about the fridge method.

-buckeye

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 08 2003,10:53)]As to dormancy I remain unconvinced that cold temperatures are essential for dormancy, but rather a short day photoperiod is what makes for a successful dormancy.
Really? So you are saying that dormancy does not require cold temps for vfts? Am I reading that right?
rock.gif
That would change my ways of dormancy...
wow.gif
Not saying I would ever question you (as you are one of the ultimate cp kings in my book!) Tamlin.
biggrin.gif

Back